Subject: [tlp-interest] Information about TLP Changes

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:31:16 -0400

Hello;

In the draft Standard-Procedure-for-Modifying-the-TLP,

http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Standard-Procedure-for-Modifying-the-TLP.txt

there is no guidance as to what information should be provided after  
the adoption of a new Trust Legal Provisions (TLP).

It seems to me that we should a difference between the old and the new  
document, and an explanation of the differences and the reason for  
them, should be provided for future reference.

I would like to see if there is support for this, and, more  
importantly, if anyone feels that something more is required.

I would also propose that the resulting consensus, assuming one is  
reached, be added to

Standard-Procedure-for-Modifying-the-TLP

Of course, any such supporting information is informative, not  
normative.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 16:51:31 +0200

Hi,

> there is no guidance as to what information should be provided after the 
> adoption of a new Trust Legal Provisions (TLP).
> 
> document, and an explanation of the differences and the reason for them, 
> should be provided for future reference.
> 
> I would like to see if there is support for this, and, more importantly, 
> if anyone feels that something more is required.
> 
> Of course, any such supporting information is informative, not normative.

In step 4, we say:

  b. Yes, we suggest to modify the text as follows ... (perhaps with
     some background material why this is the answer).

Doesn't this cover this?

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belgium: an unsolvable problem, discussed in endless meetings, with no
          hope for a solution, where everybody still lives happily.

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 05:56:57 -0400

>    some background material why this is the answer).

In principle, yes. I was hoping to get some guidance from the list about
what should be done.

I don't think I will.

I regard this kind of background material to be potentially very useful to
future Trustees. In 10 years, figuring out
why some text change occurred may be very difficult without it.

Regards
 Marshall

> _______________________________________________
> Trustees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trustees
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:41:11 +1200

> why some text change occurred may be very difficult without it.

+1. Knowing exactly which legal regime applied to which IETF document
is already hard today; let's not make the problem worse for our
successors.

    Brian