Subject: [tlp-interest] Confusing copyright notice on draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-03

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:00:17 +0200

Hi,

just noticed in 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-03>:

> Copyright Notice
>
>    Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
>    document authors.  All rights reserved.
>
>    This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
>    Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
>    (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
>    publication of this document.  Please review these documents
>    carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
>    to this document.

The text above is what the TLP requires (for non-IETF stream submissions).

>    Pursuant to Section 8.f. of the Legal Provisions (see the IETF
>    Trust's Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents effective
>    December 28, 2009), Section 4 of the Legal Provisions does not apply
>    to this document.  Thus, to the extent that this Informational
>    Internet Draft contains one or more Code Components, no license to
>    such Code Components is granted.  Furthermore, this document may not
>    be modified, and derivative works of it may not be created, and it
>    may not be published except as an Internet-Draft.
>
>    Furthermore, this Informational Internet Draft is submitted as an RFC
>    Editor Contribution and/or non-IETF Document (not as a Contribution,
>    IETF Contribution, nor IETF Document) in accordance with BCP 78 and
>    BCP 79.

This part seems to be specific to this draft.

Questions:

- to the IETF Trust: Is it OK to add additional text to the "Copyright 
Notice"?

- to the authors: what's the intent? It appears it just rephrases things 
that were said before, in which case it should be removed in future 
revisions to avoid confusion. If this tries to modify the Copyright, it 
probably should be more clear about it, and this might mean it can't be 
published as an Internet Draft.

Best regards, Julian

(asking mainly from the p.o.v. of a tools maintainer)