Subject: Re: [tlp-interest] Proposed Policy on Rights in IANA Parameter Registry Data

From: ‪sema irmak‬ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 15:34:23 +0200

OK, please write me of German

Von meinem Huawei-Telefon gesendet

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: "R. Atkinson" <[email-masked]>
Datum: Fr., 18. Sep. 2020, 01:37
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [tlp-interest] Proposed Policy on Rights in IANA Parameter Registry Data

> On Sep 16, 2020, at 22:09, The IETF Trust <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This proposed policy by the IETF Trustees is intended to clarify the situation by providing a formal declaration that the material is to be considered in the Public Domain as detailed in the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) declaration.

Hi,

I think it likely that such a formal declaration would cause people to believe
that anyone can use OR allocate — any value (including values which are
reserved or otherwise not yet formally assigned by IANA) for any purpose
they wish.

From a protocol interoperability perspective, it is important that the current
situation where defined policies guide IANA and IANA controls what is in
the IANA registries remain under IETF & IANA control.

The alternative to the current policy-driven IANA management of the IANA
registries is likely to be chaos and increased non-interoperability.

It might be (not sure) that this concern could be resolved by some declaration
other than CC0 or by adding additional words as an integral part of some
declaration (to be written by Trust lawyers) in the style of CC0 but explicitly
reserving IANA control over registry allocations (in accord with the various
allocation policies which have been defined and will be defined in future).

Yours,

Ran

_______________________________________________
tlp-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tlp-interest