Subject: [ietf-tls] Minutes from San Diego meeting

From: Win Treese <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:59:39 -0500

Minutes from TLS Working Group
49th IETF, 12 December 2000

The TLS working group met in a one-hour session at the 49th IETF in San
Diego.
The agenda was:

* Discussion of handling ciphersuite proposals
* Presentation on Kerberos ciphersuite revisions
* Discussion of AES ciphersuite proposals
* Presentation on TLS extension proposal

In general, the working group needs to adopt some guidelines for how new
applications for ciphersuites are handled. The IANA originally rejected
the idea of managing the ciphersuites, but Win Treese will revisit the

question with them.

Matt Hur of Cisco presented proposed revisions to the Kerberos cipher
suites (draft-ietf-tls-kerb-00.txt). The specification details need
work, and Eric Rescorla volunteered to help Matt with them.

The AES (draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-02.txt) ciphersuites were
discussed. The general consensus of the group was that the draft is
acceptable, with two changes:

1. There should be no mandatory specification in this document
2. There should not be a specification for 192-bit keys, unless
   complying with the forthcoming Federal Information Processing
   Specification (FIPS) would require it.

John Linn of RSA presented a proposal (draft-ietf-tls-wireless-00.txt)
for an extension mechanism and some specific extensions inspired by
work with mobile and wireless devices. Some specific comments on the
draft have been taken back to the authors.

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]