Subject: [TLS] Closing on ECC/TLS

From: EKR <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:53:46 -0700

OK, I've reviewed the last call comments for draft-ietf-tls-ecc.

Here are the issues as I see them:

1. Replacing SHA-1 [Medvinsky]
2. Mixed cert chains [Medvinsky]
3. Hybrid port format/Format negotiation [Larsch]

I don't see a lot of support for point (1) and (2) seems to be purely
editorial. However, point (3) seems like it deserves more discussion.
Nils, would you like to summarize your current position for WG discussion?

Thanks,
-Ekr

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Nils Larsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 01:04:07 +0200

> Nils, would you like to summarize your current position for WG discussion?

Concerning the hybrid point format: as I'm not aware of any practical
use for them => I would prefer not to include them.
About point format negotiation: the current draft has the disadvantage
that a client/server has either the option to offer support for prime
and binary field curves and no point compression or only offer support
for prime curves and point compression when using only patent free algs
(point compression for binary curves is tainted).
If point compression is considered a useful feature a more fine grained
point negotiation might be useful (separate flags to indicate support
for compressed for binary and prime field curves as Bodo suggested).

Cheers,
Nils

---

From: Bodo Moeller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:47:36 -0600

> editorial. However, point (3) seems like it deserves more discussion.

An updated ID is now available:

     http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-ecc-10.txt

This takes into account points (2) and (3).  (Hybrid format no longer
appears in the specification, and format negotation now distinguishes
between the compressed formats for prime curves and characteristic-2
curves.)