Subject: Re: [TLS] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-badra-hajjeh-mtls-00.txt]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:23:40 +0200 (MEST)

Dear Robert,

<Above you say the client should send application name "ALL" and <port
"NULL".  "NULL" appears to indicate the 4 byte <string 'N','U','L','L'
should be encoded in the extension. However, in <the
ApplicationLayerProtocol structure a UDP or TCP port is a 2 byte <field. I
assume you mean 0x00,0x00.

You are rigth, I have to replace "NULL" with "0x00 0x00"

<
<Suppose the client sends the following list of application names &
<ports: "smtp",25,"ftp",20
<Suppose the server supports: "smtp",25 and "ssh",22
<Does the server respond with only the intersection between what the
<client & server support, or does the server respond with all the
<applications it supports?
<

The server selects from the client suggestions. AFAIK, the TLS server
cannot reply with additional or different suggestions for an arbitrary
extension sent by the client.

Best regards,
Badra

<
<
<-----------------------------------------------
<Robert Dugal
<Member of Development Group
<Certicom Corp.
<EMAIL: [email-masked]
<PHONE: (905) 501-3848
<FAX  : (905) 507-4230
<WEBSITE: www.certicom.com

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: David Hopwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:59:39 +0100

> extension sent by the client.

I'd just like to clarify that the extensions mechanism does not specify
this. How any negotiation of options within an extension is handled is up
to the definition of that particular extension.

IOW, while the server cannot send an extension that was not in the client
hello, this policy doesn't necessarily apply to individual options within
extensions. So if it is intended to apply here, <draft-badra-hajjeh-mtls>
should explicitly say so.

-- 
David Hopwood <[email-masked]>