Subject: [TLS] SSL/TLS changes in Windows Vista

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:52:30 -0400

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0%2caid%2c123215%2c00.asp

		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:47:23 -0700

> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0%2caid%2c123215%2c00.asp

they're turning off SSLv2 - yay!

they're turning on TLS - yay!

Anyone who had heartburn about the loss of SSLv2 deserves the pain ;-)

Nice of them to finally enable TLS... doing that a few years
ago would have been better...

are there any things that disrupt the use of the rfc?

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:25:20 +1300

>they're turning on TLS - yay!

More importantly, they're finally making some desperately-needed UI changes.
Not necessarily the most-needed ones, but one they have got right is making
security errors behave more like general network problems, rather than popping
up a "Click here to make this go away" dialog.

The only depressing thing, from the HCI point of view, is that from leading
the pack in terms of security features a few years ago it looks like
Mozilla/Firefox is going to be going back to play-catchup-with-Microsoft mode
rather than pioneering new security UI features.

Peter.