Subject: [TLS] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-badra-hajjeh-mtls-00.txt]

From: badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:10:24 +0200

Dear mailing list,

I. Hajjeh and I have sent an Internet Draft that extends TLS to ensure 
data multiplixing for applications.

Comment are welcom,

Best regards,
Badra

-------- Message d'origine --------
Sujet: I-D ACTION:draft-badra-hajjeh-mtls-00.txt
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:50:01 -0400
De: [email-masked]
Répondre-A: [email-masked]
A: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

    Title        : TLS Multiplexing
    Author(s)    : M. Badra, I. Hajjeh
    Filename    : draft-badra-hajjeh-mtls-00.txt
    Pages        : 6
    Date        : 2005-10-11
    
  TLS is the famous protocol that provides authentication and data   
protection for communication between two entities. However, missing   
from the protocol is a way to multiplex application data over the   same 
TLS session.      This document defines a new TLS sub-protocol called 
MTLS running   over TLS (or DTLS) Record protocol. The MTLS design 
provides   application multiplexing over a single TLS session. Instead 
of   associating a TLS connection with each application, MTLS allows   
several applications to protect their exchanges over a single TLS   
session.
A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-badra-hajjeh-mtls-00.txt

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Rob Dugal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:41:55 -0400

The wording in section 3.1 is not clear to me.

 Note: if the server agrees, the client SHOULD establish a single TLS 
   (respectively DTLS) session for all applications it wishes to run 
   over TCP (respectively UDP). In this case, the client SHOULD send a 
   data multiplexing extension containing "ALL" as 
   ApplicationpProtocolName value and "NULL" as TCPPort (or UDPPort) 
   value. If the server is not able to negotiate such session, it 
   replays with a list of applications (names and ports) it can accept 
   to run through a single TLS session, falls back on an ordinary TLS 
   handshake or stops the negotiation.

Above you say the client should send application name "ALL" and port 
"NULL".  "NULL" appears to indicate the 4 byte string 'N','U','L','L' 
should be encoded in the extension. However, in the 
ApplicationLayerProtocol structure a UDP or TCP port is a 2 byte field. I 
assume you mean 0x00,0x00.

Suppose the client sends the following list of application names & ports: 
"smtp",25,"ftp",20
Suppose the server supports: "smtp",25 and "ssh",22
Does the server respond with only the intersection between what the client 
& server support, or does the server respond with all the applications it 
supports?

-----------------------------------------------
Robert Dugal
Member of Development Group
Certicom Corp.
EMAIL: [email-masked]
PHONE: (905) 501-3848
FAX  : (905) 507-4230
WEBSITE: www.certicom.com