Subject: [TLS] TLS Extensions on RFC 4346

From: "Eliezio Oliveira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 05:46:11 -0300

The RFC 3456 could be split in two documents, since the first part
deals with a generic mechanism on how to extend the TLS protocol in a
interoperable manner, while the second is comprised of six specific
(why not say "fortuitous"?) extensions using that generic mechanism.
The current draft for the TLS 1.2 protocol included the RFC 3546
entirely, both the generic and the specific parts.

I would advocate that only the first part should be kept in the TLS
specification, and move the specific extensions to one or more new
RFCs.

When compared against IPsec, for example, the current TLS spec does
not leave room for the "a la carte approach" for the implementors. And
I believe that this change will encourage this virtue on the spec of
the forthcoming version of the TLS protocol.

Regards,
Eliézio Oliveira

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls