Subject: [TLS] TLS 1.2 Finished label spec.

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:18:10 -0700

Is it too late to make an editorial change to the TLS 1.2
RFC?  I found a problem with the specification of the
finished_label in draft 10:

finished_label
    For Finished messages sent by the client, the string "client
    finished". For Finished messages sent by the server, the string
    "server finished".

The problem is that "client finished" is broken across lines;
that paragraph should probably be reformatted so that both
labels appear unbroken.

Another problem which is less important is that the text
states that Certificate is the only handshake message that
is sent by both client and server (section 7.4), but the
Finished message is as well.

Mike
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:14:37 -0700

>that paragraph should probably be reformatted so that both

How many developers would actually think that that there was a 
carriage return between "client" and "finished"?!?!

>Finished message is as well.

That actually seems more important for not-careful developers.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 17:15:25 -0400

>carriage return between "client" and "finished"?!?!

I think the spec would be more clear without the line break.  How 
many spaces are between "client" and "finished"?

Russ

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:44:18 -0700

>many spaces are between "client" and "finished"?

One.

You must know different developers than I do.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:49:09 -0700

At Fri, 23 May 2008 09:18:10 -0700,
> that paragraph should probably be reformatted so that both

This seems like a small enough change that unless someone
objects I'll make it as part of AUTH48.

> Finished message is as well.

This as well.

-Ekr