Subject: Re: [TLS] Name suggestions for tls-extractor

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 15:34:41 +0100

* Eric Rescorla:

>> Application key derivation?  Isn't it, technically a key agreement
>> protocol?  What about application key agreement?
>
> Well, there's no real agreement. It's just sucked out of TLS...

But isn't the whole thing a key agreement protocol nevertheless, if
you ignore everything else that TLS does?

-- 
Florian Weimer                <[email-masked]>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH       http://www.bfk.de/
Kriegsstraße 100              tel: +49-721-96201-1
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: "Bodo Moeller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:00:32 +0100

> you ignore everything else that TLS does?

The whole thing is a key agreement protocol, but the part of it that
draft-ietf-tls-extractor-03.txt specifies isn't -- so it would be
misleading to use the term "key agreement" here (unless you go for a
complicated "<whatever> Based on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Key
Agreement").

"Application key derivation" is the term that I like most -- e.g.,
"Transport Layer Security (TLS) Application Key Derivation".

("Keying Material Extractors for Transport Layer Security (TLS)"
certainly isn't ideal because on first reading you might assume this
document tells you how to key your material extractors so that you can
use them for TLS.  There are just too many ways to mis-parse this
title so that it doesn't make any sense.)

Bodo