Subject: [TLS] IPR Disclosure from Certicom

From: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:19:34 -0700

I don't think the IP disclosure from Certicom (referenced in
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg02770.html) was ever
posted to the list.  It can be found on the IETF web site at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1004/.  

Cheers, 

Joe

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:17:37 +0200

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1004/.  

That link doesn't contain any details of the patent disclosure.  Instead
it links to an externally hosted PDF on certicom.com.  The PDF I
downloaded had SHA-1 9219120d99c5bdee93059ae39f93978db1a8c833.  I'm
included below the output from pdftohml plus lynx --dump in case the PDF
link is modified/removed by Certicom, or if the IPR disclosure on the
IETF web site is removed.  I haven't read the text.

/Simon

   Certicom IPR contribution for
   RFC 4346, RFC 5246, RFC 5289, RFC 4492, RFC 2409, RFC 4306,
   RFC 4754, RFC 4753, RFC 4869, RFC 4253, RFC 2633, RFC 3278,
   RFC 4347, RFC 4366,  RFC 4109, RFC 4252, RFC 3850, RFC 3851,
   RFC 5008, draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis-00, draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb-07,

   draft-ietf-tls-extractor-02, draft-green-secsh-ecc-03, draft-ietf-avt-d
   tls-srtp-05,
   draft-igoe-secsh-suiteb-00, draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-08,
   draft-ietf-smime-3850bis-08,  draft-ietf-smime-multisig-05,
   draft-ietf-smime-sha2-09, and draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-02

   13 October 2008

   It is Certicom's desire to facilitate the wide-scale adoption and proli
   feration of Elliptic Curve
   Cryptography (ECC) technology in the marketplace to replace today's agi
   ng public key systems.
   At this time, Certicom believes its patents and patent applications lis
   ted in Schedule A contain
   claims which may be necessary and essential to implementations of the f
   ollowing protocols:

   IETF TLS:
   "[1]The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol -- Version 1.1," RFC 43
   46 or [2]"The Transport Layer
   Security (TLS) Protocol - Version 1.2," RFC 5246, or[3] "Datagram Trans
   port Layer Security (DTLS) -
   Version 1.2," draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis-00.txt, or[4] "Transport Layer
    Security (TLS) Extensions",
   RFC 4366, or[5]  "Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) - Version 1.
   0", RFC 4347, or
   [6]"Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Extension to Establish Key
   s for Secure Real-time
   Transport Protocol (SRTP)", draft-ietf-avt-dtls-srtp-05.txt or [7]"Keyi
   ng Material Extractors for
   Transport Layer Security (TLS)", draft-ietf-tls-extractor-02.txt  when
   used with either:

   A.  "[8]Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Cipher Suites for Transport L
   ayer
   [9]Security(TLS)" RFC 4492, May 2006; or,
   B.  [10]"TLS Elliptic Curve Cipher Suites with SHA-256/384 and AES Galo
   is Counter
   [11]Mode," RFC 5289, or
   C.  [12]"Suite B Cipher Suites for TLS," draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb-07.t
   xt;

   IETF IKE for IPSec:
   IPsec IKE and IKEv2 Protocols:

   [13]"The Internet Key Exchange (IKE)," RFC 2409; or [14]"Internet Key E
   xchange (IKEv2)
   Protocol," RFC 4306 when used with either:
   A.  [15]"IKE and IKEv2 Authentication Using ECDSA," RFC 4754; or
   B.  [16]" ECP Groups for IKE and IKEv2," RFC 4753; or
   C.  [17]"Suite B Cryptographic Suites for IPsec." RFC 4869; or
   D.  [18]"Algorithms for Internet Key Exchange version 1 (IKEv1)", RFC 4
   109

     __________________________________________________________________

   SSH:

   [19]"The Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol," RFC 4253 or [20]
   "The Secure Shell (SSH)
   Authentication Protocol", RFC 4252 when used with:
   A.  [21]"Elliptic-Curve Algorithm Integration in the Secure Shell Trans
   port Layer,"
   [22]draft-green-secsh-ecc-03; or
   B.  [23]"Suite B Cryptographic Suites for Secure Shell", draft-igoe-sec
   sh-suiteb-00.txt.

   CMS in S/MIME:

   [24]"Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 3.0
   Message Specification,"
   RFC 2633 or[25] "Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME)
   Version 3.1 Message
   Specification, RFC 3851, or[26] "Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Exte
   nsions (S/MIME) Version
   3.1 Certificate Handling", RFC 3850, or [27]"Secure/Multipurpose Intern
   et Mail Extensions
   (S/MIME) Version 3.2 Certificate Handling", draft-ietf-smime-3850bis-08
   .txt, or
   [28]"Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions Specification", draft
   -ietf-smime-3851bis-08.txt
   or[29] "Multiple Signatures in S/MIME", draft-ietf-smime-multisig-05.tx
   t, when used with digital
   certificates and:

   A.  [30]"Use of Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Algorithms in Cryptog
   raphic Message
   [31]Syntax (CMS)," RFC 3278; or
   B.  [32]"Use of Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Algorithms in Cryptog
   raphic Message
   [33]Syntax (CMS)," draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-02.txt; or
   C.  [34]"Using SHA2 Algorithms with Cryptographic Message Syntax", draf
   t-ietf-smime-
   [35]sha2-09.txt; or
   D.  [36]"Suite B in Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIM
   E)", RFC 5008.

   Certicom will, upon request, provide a nonexclusive, royalty free paten
   t license, to
   manufacturers to permit end users (including both client and server sid
   es), to use the patents in
   schedule A when implementing any of these protocols, including those re
   quiring third party
   certificates provided the certificate is obtained from a licensed Certi
   ficate Authority (CA). This
   license does not cover the issuing of certificates by a Certification A
   uthority (CA).

   The reasonable terms and conditions of this license are contained in th
   e license document that
   Certicom intends to make available on its web site.

   This royalty free license is restricted to the use of the protocols lis
   ted above utilizing the ECC
   options in the specified drafts and restricted to NIST curves P256, P38
   4, and P521 only. The IKE
   and IKEv2 protocols must be used in combination with IPSec in this lice
   nse grant; and CMS must
   be used in combination with S/MIME in this grant.  Certicom will grant
   licenses on reasonable
   and non-discriminatory terms for implementations of these protocols ove
   r other named curves
   or explicitly defined curves.  The above list of protocols will be amen
   ded from time to time in
   order to keep the documents current.
     __________________________________________________________________

   The license granted does not extend, either explicitly or implicitly, t
   o other IETF protocols.

   Any party wishing to request a license should contact:

   Tony Rosati
   VP of Intellectual Property Licensing
   Certicom Corp.
   5520 Explorer Drive, 4th Floor
   Mississauga, ON L4W 5L1
   [37]Tel:(613)254-9265

   email: [38][email-masked]

   Any party wishing to request additional information may contact:

   Matthew Campagna
   Director of Research
   Certicom Corp.
   5520 Explorer Drive, 4th Floor
   Mississauga, ON L4W 5L1
   [39]Tel:(203)897-9777

   email: [40][email-masked]
     __________________________________________________________________

   Schedule A

   (1) U.S. Pat. No. 5,761,305 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Proto
   col with
   Implicit Signatures" issued on June 2, 1998;
   (2) Can. Pat, Appl. Ser. No. 2,176,972 entitled "Key Agreement and Tran
   sport Protocol
   with Implicit Signature and Reduced Bandwidth" filed on May 16, 1996;
   (3) U.S. Pat. No. 5,889,865 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Proto
   col with Implicit
   Signatures" issued on March 30, 1999;
   (4) U.S. Pat. No. 5,896,455 entitled "'Key Agreement and Transport Prot
   ocol with Implicit
   Signatures" issued on April 20, 1999;
   (5) U.S. Pat. No. 5,933,504 entitled "Strengthened Public Key Protocol"
    issued on August 3,
   1999;
   (6) U.K Pat. No. 9510035 entitled "Strengthened Public Key Protocol" fi
   led on May 18,
   1995 (superseded by 8 below);
   (7) Can. Pat. Appl. Ser. No. 2,176,866 entitled "Strengthened Public Ke
   y Protocol" filed on
   May 17, 1996;
   (8) E.P. Pat. Publ. Appl. Ser. No. 0743774 entitled "Strengthened Publi
   c Key Protocol" filed
   on May 17, 1996 ;
   (9) U.S. Pat. No. 5,999,626 entitled "Digital Signatures on a Smartcard
   " issued on
   December 7, 1999;
   (10) Can. Pat No. 2202566 entitled "Digital Signatures on a Smartcard"

   issued on
   December 12, 2006;
   (11) E.P. Pat. Appl. No. 97106114.8 entitled "Digital Signatures on a S
   martcard"
   filed on
   April 15, 1997;
   (12) U.S Pat. No. 6,122,736 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Proto
   col with Implicit
   Signatures" issued on September 19, 2000;
   (13) Can. Pat.  No. 2,174,261 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Pro
   tocol with Implicit
   Signatures" issued on June 12, 2007;
   (14) E.P. Pat. No. 0739105 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Protoc
   ol with Implicit
   Signatures" issued on October 13, 2004, registered in DE, FR, UK;
   (15) U.S. Pat. No. 6,141,420 entitled "Elliptic Curve Encryption System
   s" issued on

   October 31, 2000;
     __________________________________________________________________

   (16) Can. Pat Appl. Ser. No.2155038 entitled "Elliptic Curve Encryption
    Systems"   filed on
   July 31, 1995;
   (17) E.P. Pat. No. 0804758 entitled "Elliptic Curve Encryption System"
   issued on November
   19, 2005, registered in CH, DE, FR, UK;
   (18) U.S. Pat. No. 6,336,188 entitled "Authenticated Key Agreement" iss
   ued on
   January
   1, 2002;
   (19) U.S. Pat. No. 6,487,661 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Prot
   ocol" issued on
   November 26, 2002;
   (20) Can. Pat. No. 2174260 entitled "Key Agreement Transport Protocol"
   issued on June
   19, 2007;
   (21) E. P. Pat. No. 0739106 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Proto
   col" issued on
   October 15, 2003, registered in DE, FR, UK;
   (22) U.S. Pat. No. 6,563,928 entitled "Strengthened Public Key Protocol
   " issued on May
   13, 2003;
   (23) U.S. Pat. No. 6,618,483 entitled "Elliptic Curve Encryption System
   s issued September
   9, 2003;
   (24)  U.S. Pat. No. 6,925,564 entitled "Digital Signatures on a Smartca
   rd" issued on August
   02, 2005;
   (25) U.S. Pat. No. 6,785,813 entitled "Key Agreement and Transport Prot
   ocol with Implicit
   Signatures" issued on August 31, 2004;
   (26) U.S. Pat. No. 6,704,870 entitled "Digital Signatures on a Smartcar
   d" issued on March 9,
   2004; and
   (27) U.S. Pat. Appl. Ser. No. 10/185,735 entitled "Strengthened Public
   Key Protocol" filed
   on July 1, 2000.

     __________________________________________________________________

                                Document Outline

     *
     *
     *
     __________________________________________________________________

References

   1. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4346.txt
   2. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5246
   3. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis-00.txt
   4. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4366.txt
   5. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4347
   6. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-dtls-srtp-05.txt
   7. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-extractor-02.txt
   8. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4492.txt
   9. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4492.txt
  10. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5289
  11. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5289
  12. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb-07.txt
  13. http://www.vpnc.org/rfc2409
  14. http://www.vpnc.org/rfc4309
  15. http://www.vpnc.org/rfc4754
  16. http://www.vpnc.org/rfc4753
  17. http://www.vpnc.org/rfc4869
  18. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4109.txt
  19. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4253.txt
  20. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4252.txt
  21. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-green-secsh-ecc-03.txt
  22. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-green-secsh-ecc-03.txt
  23. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-igoe-secsh-suiteb-00.txt
  24. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2633.txt
  25. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3851.txt
  26. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3850.txt
  27. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-3850bis-08.txt
  28. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-08.txt
  29. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-multisig-05.txt
  30. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3278.txt
  31. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3278.txt
  32. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-02.txt
  33. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-02.txt
  34. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-sha2-09.txt
  35. ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-sha2-09.txt
  36. ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc5008.txt
  37. file://localhost/home/jas/cmc/certicom%20-ipr-contribution-to-ietfsept08.html
  38. mailto:[email-masked]
  39. file://localhost/home/jas/cmc/certicom%20-ipr-contribution-to-ietfsept08.html
  40. mailto:[email-masked]