Subject: Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (Keying Material Exporters for Transport Layer Security (TLS)) to Proposed Standard

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:46:59 +0200

I am aware that the last call period has ended, but maybe this comment
will aid IESG processing of the document.

After having talked to the SFLC and the FSF about the patent threat on
this document, I no longer oppose publication of the tls-extractor
document on the standards track.  It appears as if the patent threat on
the document (as I perceived it) was resolved when Certicom's agent
clarified their intentions on the mailing list.  Thanks to Pasi for
nudging me to escalate the issue, and also thanks to the SFLC for giving
me advice on the matter.

Generally, it appears sub-optimal that implementers needs to review not
only the patent disclosure page but also review mailing list archives to
be able to evaluate the patent status on a document.

Finally, I note that the time period a document is in IETF Last Call,
even if the time window is extended as it was for tls-extractor, is too
short to allow matters to be resolved that requires coordination between
multiple organizations and feedback from legal people.

Thanks,
/Simon