Subject: [TLS] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5246 (2165)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:46:53 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5246,
"The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5246&eid=2165

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>

Section: 6.2.3.2

Original Text
-------------
   Example: If the block length is 8 bytes, the content length
   (TLSCompressed.length) is 61 bytes, and the MAC length is 20 bytes,
   then the length before padding is 82 bytes (this does not include the

Dierks & Rescorla           Standards Track                    [Page 23]

RFC 5246                          TLS                        August 2008

   IV.  Thus, the padding length modulo 8 must be equal to 6 in order to
   make the total length an even multiple of 8 bytes (the block length).
   The padding length can be 6, 14, 22, and so on, through 254.  If the
   padding length were the minimum necessary, 6, the padding would be 6
   bytes, each containing the value 6.  Thus, the last 8 octets of the
   GenericBlockCipher before block encryption would be xx 06 06 06 06 06
   06 06, where xx is the last octet of the MAC.

Corrected Text
--------------
   Example: If the block length is 8 bytes, the content length
   (TLSCompressed.length) is 61 bytes, and the MAC length is 20 bytes,
   then the length before padding is 82 bytes (this does not include the

Dierks & Rescorla           Standards Track                    [Page 23]

RFC 5246                          TLS                        August 2008

   IV).  Thus, the padding length modulo 8 must be equal to 6 in order to
   make the total length an even multiple of 8 bytes (the block length).
   The padding length can be 6, 14, 22, and so on, through 254.  If the
   padding length were the minimum necessary, 6, the padding would be 6
   bytes, each containing the value 6.  Thus, the last 8 octets of the
   GenericBlockCipher before block encryption would be xx 06 06 06 06 06
   06 06, where xx is the last octet of the MAC.

Notes
-----

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5246 (draft-ietf-tls-rfc4346-bis-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2
Publication Date    : August 2008
Author(s)           : T. Dierks, E. Rescorla
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Tim Dierks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:19:31 -0400

looks good to me.

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:53:27 -0400

> "The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2".

The only change i see here is closing the lingering parenthesis after
"IV", immediately following the page break.  I believe this is a valid
(though inconsequential) correction.

	--dkg

---

From: Michael D'Errico <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:00:27 -0700

Is there any difference between old and new other than the
inclusion of a missing close parenthesis?

Mike

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:58:54 +0300

'diff' says no.
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michael D'Errico [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 02:00
To: RFC Errata System
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TLS] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5246 (2165)

Mike

> "The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2".
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.