Subject: [TLS] Conclusion of Fixing CBC Discussion

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:09:05 -0800

The comment period about drafts for fixing CBC has now expired.

Based on the messages sent to the list, the chairs believe that
the overall WG sentiment is to proceed with a document that:

- Codifies encrypt-then-MAC
- Uses an extension for negotiation

Accordingly, we propose to have the WG adopt draft-gutmann
with Peter Gutmann as editor, should he be willing to serve.
The revised draft should also contain a section addressing
the security question of fallback issues (with an informative
reference to draft-moeller, likely to become a normative reference
if that draft is adopted).

If there are any objections to this plan, please raise them
by Friday January 17.

-Ekr
[For the Chairs]

P.S. The chairs note that there have been a number of other
comments on draft-gutmann. Once the draft is adopted, we'll
need to resolve those as well.