Subject: [TLS] Concluding the TLS process thread

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:26:17 -0400

All,

Thanks for a vigorous discussion on process.

The chairs continue to believe that the process outlined in our previous
message [0] represents the way forward most consistent with our chartered
direction. Accordingly, we will not be holding a contest for an entirely
new protocol but will use RFC 5246 as a starting point. Proposals to
modify TLS to meet the charter requirements should be phrased as
revisions to RFC 5246.

Further discussion of changes to or reinterpretation of the charter are
now out out of scope for this working group and should be taken off this
mailing list.

We already have a number of active discussions of important technical
topics:

SNI Encryption:
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg11823.html
Making the PRF Compatible with Hardware Modules:
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg12094.html
Renegotiation (or lack thereof):
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg11966.html
Extensive trimming of the cryptographic primitives:
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg12006.html

We encourage WG members to focus their attention on these topics
and hope that we can make rapid progress on these on-list or at the
f-2-f interim.

spt for the chairs

[0] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg11657.html

---

From: Trevor Perrin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:33:12 -0700

> now out out of scope for this working group and should be taken off this

I'll leave it at this:

It's disappointing the chairs have chosen a "chairs do whatever they
want" process rather than a process based on WG consensus.

Trevor