Subject: [TLS] github

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:28:56 -0400

WG Members,

Going forward we will be following the successful example of the
HTTPbis WG and using github to organize our work.

This means:

- The editor will maintain the editor's draft on github in the
  following repository: https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec

- Technical changes can be submitted as pull requests and are subject
  to the usual WG consensus process before being merged. No
  substantive technical discussion should occur in github. If you
  cannot submit a pull request, you can send text directly to the list
  but pull requests are preferred for tracking purposes. The editor
  may also be tasked by the WG to make technical changes directly,
  based on WG consensus.

- Editorial changes should be submitted as pull requests and the
  editor may just merge them directly and/or commit editorial changes
  directly as needed.

- If you believe a change has been committed inappropriately, either
  note this on the list/chairs/editor or if the change is minor,
  submit your own pull request to back it out.

- Revisions will be submitted as internet drafts regularly, and be
  tagged (see process in [1]).  We still maintain a manual change log
  for major issues, but the commit history is used as a more detailed
  record.

- The git issue tracker will be used to manage outstanding issues,
  but as above, any substantive discussion should happen on-list.

We also will use github for meeting arrangements, agendas and
minutes.  These will also be posted to the IETF datatracker as
usual.

The editor has posted a first RFC 5246 bis draft at the following
location:
https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/blob/master/draft-ietf-tls-tls13.txt
This draft should not contain any intentional substantive changes
and is just a baseline for future change tracking.  I’ve checked it,
you should too.

spt for the chairs

[1] https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/blob/master/SUBMITTING.md

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:39:11 -0700

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Sean Turner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> and is just a baseline for future change tracking.  I've checked it,
> you should too.
>

This has now been submitted as an I-D. At:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-00

Please ignore the notification for rfc5246-bis. I fumble-fingered the draft
name. The correct draft name is:  draft-ietf-tls-tls13-00

As Sean said, there should be no substantive changes between this
draft and RFC 5246. If you find any, please let me know and/or submit
a git pull request and I will correct.

-Ekr

spt for the chairs
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:22:25 -0700

And now we have an -01. The only change here is a correction to
the copyright notice to reflect the fact that there is material which
predates the IETF revised rights policy in RFC 5378.

New URL:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-01

-Ekr

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:36:08 -0700

> HTTPbis WG and using github to organize our work.

To demonstrate some more concrete examples of this, I've created
issues to track some of what we've been discussing, as well as some
trivial pull requests for a few of the RFC 5246 errata.  I've found
this to be the most efficient way to work in HTTP/2, especially the
bit where everyone helps fix stupid typos.

---

From: Juho Vähä-Herttua <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:55:28 +0300

> On 18.4.2014, at 0.28, Sean Turner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> WG Members,
> 

Big +1 for using git and github here, this brings transparency to a different level.

Juho