Subject: [TLS] Protocol Action: 'Encrypt-then-MAC for TLS and DTLS' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tls-encrypt-then-mac-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:38:33 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Encrypt-then-MAC for TLS and DTLS'
  (draft-ietf-tls-encrypt-then-mac-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-encrypt-then-mac/

Technical Summary

 This document defines a means to negotiate the use of
 encrypt-then-MAC instead of the existing MAC-then-encrypt one.  
 WRT the existing mechanism, there are a number of identified 
 vulnerabilities (see the references in the draft).

Working Group Summary:

 This draft has been kicking around for a number of years and was 
 adopted and progressed fairly quickly.  There were really just two
 debates 1) how to do the negotiation (see sec 2.1 of the draft), and
 2) whether this applied to both stream and block ciphers (ended up
 applying to just block). 

Document Quality

 There's a test server up and running.  There's also a number of known
 implementations.

Personnel

 Stephen Farrell is the responsible AD.  Sean Turner is the shepherd.

IANA Note

  Please make the relevant temporary registration permanent.