Subject: Re: [TLS] Inclusion of OCB mode in TLS 1.3

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 03:20:21 +0000

Phillip Rogaway <[email-masked]> writes:

>I suspect that most use-cases for TLS-with-OCB would already be covered by
>one of the prior patent-grants I've done.  But, for anything that might fall
>in a gap, the simplest thing, I suspect, is for me to do an "IETF Patent
>Disclosure and Licensing Declaration" specifying royalty-free licensing for
>use of OCB in compliance with a TLS-specifying RFC.  I'm happy to submit one
>of those.  I might need some help to identify what RFC number(s) to cite.

That would be great to have!  I've always liked OCB, but as an open-source
developer I don't have any control over how my code is used (beyond "you have
to make the source code available", "you need to include an acknowledgement in
your docs", or whatever the preferred license is), so I haven't been able to
use it until now.  Being allowed to use it for a TLS implementation without
further restrictions would be a great help.

Peter.

---

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0558 - MITLL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 19:06:38 +0000

I like OCB, and in my opinion the current license that Phil granted is acceptable to *any* OpenSSL user (unless a lawyer would say that I'm wrong here and point at my mistake). 

I think OCB should be included in TLS 1.3, and hopefully/maybe "retrofitted" to 1.2.

--
Regards,
Uri Blumenthal                            Voice: (781) 981-1638
Cyber Systems and Technology   Fax:   (781) 981-0186
MIT Lincoln Laboratory                Cell:  (339) 223-5363
244 Wood Street, Lexington, MA 02420-9185       

Web:  http://www.ll.mit.edu/CST/
MIT LL Root CA:  <https://www.ll.mit.edu/labcertificateauthority.html>

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Gutmann [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 10:20 PM
To: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TLS] Inclusion of OCB mode in TLS 1.3

Peter.
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls