Subject: [TLS] draft-ietf-tls-tls13-08 and plan for future drafts

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:12:31 -0700

Folks,

I've just posted draft-08 which includes the changes discussed on-list
to require digital signatures from the client even if you are re-using
a previous configuration in 0-RTT (per WG discussion).

This version also includes a bunch of other cleanup, as detailed below:

- Remove support for weak and lesser used named curves.

- Remove support for MD5 and SHA-224 hashes with signatures.

- Revise list of currently available AEAD cipher suites.

- Reduce maximum permitted record expansion for AEAD from 2048 to 256
octets.

- Require digital signatures even when a previous configuration is used.

- Merge EarlyDataIndication and KnownConfiguration.

- Change code point for server_configuration to avoid collision with
  server_hello_done.

As usual, comments welcome. If you think I missed something important
please let me know and/or file a github issue so I don't forget it
this time.

I thought it might be useful for people to know what's coming in
upcoming drafts.

1. As I mentioned in Prague, I plan to do a fairly significant
restructuring/editorial effort to make things easier to read.
This will include:

- Reordering the text to put the overview first.
- Cleaning up or removing obsolete/redundant material
  (e.g., the now really old security analysis)
- General editorial cleanup.

1. The intention is to produce a cleaned-up draft that doesn't have any
major
technical changes (optimally no technical changes) but is
significantly easier to read. I'm targeting that for early September.
I'll keep a github branch up to date on this in case people want to
see how it's going.

2. In parallel I'll be starting threads on the list to try to resolve
a number of open technical issues. Hopefully we can deal with a bunch
of this on the list and get the rest on-deck for the interim in SEA.

Depending on the timeline and the number of issues we resolve, I may
do a -09 and then have -10 be the rewrite, or -09 may just be the
rewrite.

-Ekr