Subject: [TLS] WGLC for draft-ietf-tls-record-limit

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:12:30 +1100

All,’

This is the working group last call for the "Record Size Limit Extension for TLS" draft available at http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-record-limit/.  Please review the document and send your comments to the list by 6 February 2018.

Thanks your chairs: J&S

---

From: Hubert Kario <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:39:31 +0100

On Monday, 22 January 2018 06:12:30 CET Sean Turner wrote:
> All,’
> 
> This is the working group last call for the "Record Size Limit Extension for
> TLS" draft available at
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-record-limit/.  Please
> review the document and send your comments to the list by 6 February 2018.

I don't see description of expected behaviour during session resumption.

-- 
Regards,
Hubert Kario
Senior Quality Engineer, QE BaseOS Security team
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkyňova 115, 612 00  Brno, Czech Republic

---

From: Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 18:42:54 +0200

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 04:12:30PM +1100, Sean Turner wrote:
> All,’
> 
> This is the working group last call for the "Record Size Limit
> Extension for TLS" draft available at http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-record-limit/. 
> Please review the document and send your comments to the list
> by 6 February 2018.

  "An endpoint that supports all record sizes can include any limit up
   to the protocol-defined limit for maximum record size.  For TLS 1.3
   and earlier, that limit is 2^14 octets.  Higher values are currently
   reserved for future versions of the protocol that may allow larger
   records; an endpoint MUST NOT send a value higher than the protocol-
   defined maximum record size unless explicitly allowed by such a
   future version or extension."

Since the count includes the content type byte in TLS 1.3, the maximum
value for TLS 1.3 is 16385 bytes, not 2^14=16384.

-Ilari

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 13:06:19 -0500

> This is the working group last call for the "Record Size Limit Extension for TLS" draft available at http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-record-limit/.  Please review the document and se…

Section 2: Please update the paragraph to reference RFC 8174
in addition to RFC 2119, as follows: 

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
   "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP
   14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when, and only when, they appear in all
   capitals, as shown here.

Otherwise, I think the document is ready to go.

Russ

---

From: Hubert Kario <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:12:42 +0100

On Monday, 22 January 2018 14:39:31 CET Hubert Kario wrote:
> > This is the working group last call for the "Record Size Limit Extension
> > for TLS" draft available at

but then it's part of current master and was added in September last year:
https://github.com/tlswg/tls-record-limit/commit/a20d965a

will we get another version of this I-D?
-- 
Regards,
Hubert Kario
Senior Quality Engineer, QE BaseOS Security team
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkyňova 115, 612 00  Brno, Czech Republic

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 09:42:59 +1100

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 05:06, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

https://github.com/tlswg/tls-record-limit/pull/13

spt

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:39:43 +1100

> I don't see description of expected behaviour during session resumption.

The editor's copy says:

During renegotiation or resumption, the record size limit is
renegotiated. Records are subject to the limits that were set in the
handshake that produces the keys that are used to protect those
records. This admits the possibility that the extension might not be
negotiated when a connection is renegotiated or resumed.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:41:16 +1100

> value for TLS 1.3 is 16385 bytes, not 2^14=16384.

Yes, the editor's copy says:

For TLS 1.2 and earlier, that limit is 2^14 octets. TLS 1.3 uses a
limit of 2^14+1 octets.