Subject: [TLS] Certificate Compression: Add Zstd Code Point?

From: "W. Felix Handte" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 14:13:41 -0400

Hello all,

I know that draft-ietf-tls-certificate-compression is (almost?) in last 
call, so I apologize for jumping in so late.

I would like to propose adding an additional codepoint to the 
Certificate Compression Algorithm IDs registry, for Zstd (RFC 8478).

Briefly, Zstandard seems like a good fit for this use case since 
decompression is extremely fast, while compression exceeds Gzip 
significantly and roughly matches Brotli.

Thanks,
Felix

---

From: Victor Vasiliev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 18:09:16 -0400

This sounds reasonable to me.  I currently don't have a plan for
implementing this, but since zstd is well-defined and has an RFC published
(that I can easily cite), I see no reason not to add it.

I wrote up a PR: https://github.com/tlswg/certificate-compression/pull/26.
I will merge it before the last call, unless there are objections.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 2:14 PM W. Felix Handte <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>

---

From: Alessandro Ghedini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 21:45:42 +0100

> I will merge it before the last call, unless there are objections.

This seems pretty inoffensive (just one more allocated codepoint), and it's
already been a few days and nobody seems to object.

We'd like to submit a new draft version so we can finally go to WGLC, so if
nobody objects by tomorrow I'll just merge the PR and upload the draft.

Cheers