Subject: [TLS] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC8446 (6124)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 02:18:39 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8446,
"The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.3".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6124

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Ben Smyth <[email-masked]>

Section: 2

Original Text
-------------
   In the Key Exchange phase, the client sends the ClientHello                  
   (Section 4.1.2) message, which contains a random nonce                       
   (ClientHello.random); its offered protocol versions; a list of               
   symmetric cipher/HKDF hash pairs; either a set of Diffie-Hellman key         
   shares (in the "key_share" (Section 4.2.8) extension), a set of              
   pre-shared key labels (in the "pre_shared_key" (Section 4.2.11)              
   extension), or both; and potentially additional extensions.   

Corrected Text
--------------
   In the Key Exchange phase, the client sends the ClientHello                  
   (Section 4.1.2) message, which contains a random nonce                       
   (ClientHello.random); its offered protocol versions; a list of               
   symmetric cipher/Hash algorithm pairs; either a set of Diffie-Hellman key         
   shares (in the "key_share" (Section 4.2.8) extension), a set of              
   pre-shared key labels (in the "pre_shared_key" (Section 4.2.11)              
   extension), or both; and potentially additional extensions.   

or

   In the Key Exchange phase, the client sends the ClientHello                  
   (Section 4.1.2) message, which contains a random nonce                       
   (ClientHello.random); its offered protocol versions; a list of               
   symmetric cipher/Hash algorithm (to be used with HKDF) pairs; either a set of Diffie-Hellman key         
   shares (in the "key_share" (Section 4.2.8) extension), a set of              
   pre-shared key labels (in the "pre_shared_key" (Section 4.2.11)              
   extension), or both; and potentially additional extensions.   

Notes
-----

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC8446 (draft-ietf-tls-tls13-28)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.3
Publication Date    : August 2018
Author(s)           : E. Rescorla
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG