Subject: [TLS] Review of draft-ietf-tls-subcerts-07

From: Jonathan Hammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 21:30:30 -0400

The draft looks good.  I have a few minor nits and suggestions.

Section 3, Fourth bullet: s/TLS hadshake/TLS handshake

Section 3, Fourth bullet: To eliminate possible confusion, what is
meant by "certificate’s working key" could be defined more precisely.

Section 3.2, Last paragraph: s/Automated Certificate Managmeent
Encvironment/Automated Certificate Management Environment

Section 3.2, Last paragraph: "It is possible to address the
short-lived certificate concerns above ..." seems to refer to text in
the Introduction.  It is a bit far for use of "above" rather than
indicating the particular section.  Even better would be to add some
text regarding the concerns to Section 3 or 3.1.

Section 4: The definition of "valid_time" could mention that the value
must not exceed 7 days.

Section 4: The phrase
"Minimizing their semantics in this way is intended to mitigate the
risk of cross protocol attacks involving delegated credentials."
could be improved by adding at least one way that the minimized
semantics mitigate such attacks.

Section 6.1: The term "TLS private key" is used for the first time
here. In the rest of the document we see the term "delegated private
key"; are these the same?

Section 6.1: The following phrase describes an important condition for
using delegated credentials:
"Thus, delegated credentials should not be used to send a delegation
to an untrusted party, but is meant to be used between parties that
have some trust relationship with each other."
I think it is important enough to include a similar statement when
describing the solution in Section 3.

Section 6.4: s/cache the certificate chain an re-validate it/cache the
certificate chain and re-validate it

Best regards,
Jonathan

---

From: Nick Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 21:02:47 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

A (delayed) thank you for this helpful review. Your input will be
incorporated into draft -08.

Nick

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 6:31 PM Jonathan Hammell <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>