Subject: [TLS] Open issues for draft-ietf-tls-esni

From: Christopher Patton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 14:41:43 -0700

Hi list,

Some of you might have noticed a barrage of issues filed recently against
draft-ietf-tls-esni on GitHub. These are all relatively minor, but
resolving some of them may require changes for the next draft, so I wanted
to summarize them here. These were flagged while Chris Wood and I were
working through some editorial changes.

Links to the issues are given below, including a brief description. We'd
welcome any feedback you might have on these.

Thanks,
Chris P.

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-esni/issues/261: The spec assumes
that HPKE uses an HKDF cipher suite.

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-esni/issues/262: Possible bug in
"outer_extensions" extension logic.

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-esni/issues/263: Role of the hash
in "outer_extensions" is unclear.

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-esni/issues/265: Question about
"outer_extensions" usage guidance.

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-esni/issues/266: Security
considerations around SNI leakage.

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-esni/issues/267: "ech_accept" is
undefined.