Subject: [TLS] TLS 1.3 Document Update

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 09:10:09 -0700

Hi folks,

I've just posted draft-rescorla-tls-rfc8446-bis-00.

This document does two things:

1. It rolls up all the various errata that have been filed for
   RFC 8446. Some of these have created some reader confusion
   and so hopefully this will help.

2. It renames the "master" secrets to "main" secrets in service
   of more inclusive language [0]

My intention here is not to make technical changes but just to produce
a document that's easier to work with.  If there are other pieces of
text that you think need to be fixed, now would be a good time to flag
them.  I am working on this document at
https://github.com/ekr/tls13-spec

Thanks to David Benjamin for suggesting this and talking over the
mechanics.

-Ekr

[0] Note that I was not totally unable to remove "master" because the
key schedule labels include it. However, I have removed it from the
text and I think we should probably change the labels to hex to
obscure it.

---

From: Christopher Patton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:37:47 -0700

Hi Ekr, this is great! I just wanted to suggest that, instead of obscuring
the word "master", we add a (foot)note to the text explaining its
persistence in the spec and give some historical context.

Best,
Chris P.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 9:11 AM Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 16:21:42 +0000

If we wanted to go further, defining a new flag that says ‘use “main” as the prefix’ in the ClientHello?

I agree that text indicating the interop requrements of master is useful.  And then don’t obscure it.