Subject: [TLS] Éric Vyncke's Yes on draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-11: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 02:23:00 -0800

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-11: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Special thanks to the shepherd, Sean Turner, who did a great job to describe
the WG consensus. Rob Wilton's point about minimum version is also important
and should be addressed in the abstract (even if the text is clearer in section
1).

Please find below some nits.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

-- Abstract --
"This document, if approved, formally deprecates Transport Layer" => should ",
if approved," be removed now from the abstract? The RFC Editor will probably do
it though.

-- Section 1 --
"deprecate these old versions." should the "these old version" be followed by
the enumeration ?

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:28:03 +0000

Hiya,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/

Yep, that's standard fare so fine to leave as-is since the
RFC folks know what to do there already.

> "deprecate these old versions." should the "these old version" be followed by

Fair enough. I guess that snippet in isolation could be
ambiguous. Also fixed in repo - [1] with diff vs. -11
at [2]

Cheers,
S.

[1] 
https://github.com/tlswg/oldversions-deprecate/blob/master/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate.txt
[2] 
https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-11.txt&url2=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tlswg/oldversions-deprecate/master/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate.txt

> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:48:48 -0500

Thank you for your review and to Stephen for making the speedy updates.

Best regards,
Kathleen

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 9:28 AM Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > Please refer to
> https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen