Subject: [TLS] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 12:32:00 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Deprecating TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1
        Authors         : Kathleen Moriarty
                          Stephen Farrell
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-12.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2021-01-21

Abstract:
   This document, if approved, formally deprecates Transport Layer
   Security (TLS) versions 1.0 (RFC 2246) and 1.1 (RFC 4346).
   Accordingly, those documents (will be moved|have been moved) to
   Historic status.  These versions lack support for current and
   recommended cryptographic algorithms and mechanisms, and various
   government and industry profiles of applications using TLS now
   mandate avoiding these old TLS versions.  TLSv1.2 became the
   recommended version for IETF protocols in 2008, (subsequently being
   obsoleted by TLSv1.3 in 2018), providing sufficient time to
   transition away from older versions.  Removing support for older
   versions from implementations reduces the attack surface, reduces
   opportunity for misconfiguration, and streamlines library and product
   maintenance.

   This document also deprecates Datagram TLS (DTLS) version 1.0 (RFC
   4347), but not DTLS version 1.2, and there is no DTLS version 1.1.

   This document updates many RFCs that normatively refer to TLSv1.0 or
   TLSv1.1 as described herein.  This document also updates the best
   practices for TLS usage in RFC 7525 and hence is part of BCP 195.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Gary Gapinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 21:35:17 -0500

https://github.com/tlswg/oldversions-deprecate/issues/10 remains unresolved.

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 03:05:01 +0000

Hiya,

> https://github.com/tlswg/oldversions-deprecate/issues/10 remains 

I believe that the RFC editor's copy editing pass should
address that kind of thing, so left it for them. At this
stage it's likely better to handle it that way, but I will
check it at AUTH-48 [1] when the RFC editor's changes are
made available to authors, chairs and AD for final checks
before publication.

Cheers,
S.

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/faq/#auth48