Subject: [Tm-rid] Hackathon planning

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:33:00 -0400

It would be good if we can have a hackathon event.  The goal would be to 
get UAV (or simulated UAV) broadcasting to ground devices.

The goal for IETF106 is to get familiar with the technology and thus 
direct draft development.

3 parts to the puzzle:

UAV supporting RemoteID with HIP enhancements
Ground devices receiving broadcasts
Infrastructure providing static information about UAV

UAV supporting RemoteID with HIP enhancements

Actual UAV or the microcontrollers used in UAV with software to 
broadcast all 5 ASTM messages.  The Authentication Messages will be 
augmented with the HI signing.  This will be over all 3 RF defined: BT4, 
BT5, WiFi NAN.

I have seen one report that NAN support is basically not there in 
smartphones.  One tester has switched to using WiFi BEACONs, as I get 
more information and pointers to this, we will look at this as a serious 
alternative to NAN.

We may need to 'cheat' at the GPS information in the Location/Vector 
Message to make for good testing.

Ground devices receiving broadcasts

Platforms are smartphones (iPhones and Android), tables (same), Linux 
and Windows notebooks.  They receive the broadcasts, access network 
information based on RemoteID in Basic Message and present information 
in a map.

Infrastructure providing static information about UAV

DNS and other services.  HIP Registry service with DNS query support.

That is it in brief.  Who is interested?  I will be in a nearby hotel 
for my Sabbath that I can easily walk over Saturday evening and will be 
moving to the Stamford Sunday morning.

Bob