Subject: [Tm-rid] WG Review: Drone Remote ID Protocol (drip)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 10:04:01 -0800

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Internet Area. The IESG has not made
any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the
IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2020-02-18.

Drone Remote ID Protocol (drip)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
  Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Éric Vyncke <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
  Éric Vyncke <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tm-rid
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tm-rid/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/drip/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-drip/

Drone Remote ID Protocol (DRIP) WG
================================

[previously TMRID BoF and [email-masked] mailing list]

Civil Aviation Authorities (CAAs) worldwide have initiated rule making for
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Remote Identification (RID). CAAs currently
promulgate performance-based regulations that do not mandate specific
techniques, but rather cite industry-consensus technical standards as
acceptable means of compliance. One key standard is ASTM International
(formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) WK65041 [1]. This
technical specification defines UAS RID message formats, and transmission
methods. Network RID defines a set of information for UAS to be made
available globally via the Internet. Broadcast RID defines a set of messages
for UAS to send locally one-way over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. WK65041 does not
address how to populate/query registries, how to ensure trustworthiness of
information, nor how to make the information useful.

DRIP’s goal is to specify how RID can be made available in both Internet and
local-only connected scenarios, especially in emergency situations. Some UAS
operate in environments where the network or the devices or both are severely
constrained [2] in terms of processing, bandwidth (e.g., Bluetooth 4 beacon
payload is 25 bytes long), or battery life, and DRIP aims to function in
these environments. The specifications produced by the WG will need to
balance public safety authorities’ need to know trustworthy information with
UAS operators’ and other involved parties’ privacy.

The working group will primarily leverage Internet standards (including HIP,
EPP, RDAP, and DNS) and infrastructure as well as domain name registration
business models. The WG will track and align with the requirements being
developed by regulatory authorities, e.g., the US Federal Aviation
Administration (US FAA) [3] and the European Union Aviation Safety Agency
(EASA) delegated [4] and implementing [5] Regulations.

The working group will work on the following items:
* Requirements: the WG is expected to provide an informational document that
lists the technical requirements for applying IETF protocols to the UAS
Remote Identification (UAS RID) - that is the system for identifying UA
during flight by other parties. These requirements will also include those
associated to the UAS Identifier that need to both meet some constraints as
well as some specific properties. * Architecture: the WG will propose a
standard document that describes the architecture that address the technical
requirements and that will attempt to re-use protocols or architectures
already standardized at the IETF. * Protocol design: while the primary
purpose of DRIP WG is to leverage existing protocols, the specificities of
the UAS environment are likely to require existing protocols to be extended
or new protocols to be designed. The WG will focus on getting these protocols
or extensions standardized, coordinating with other WGs relevant for the
protocol(s) in question on the most appropriate home for any given piece of
work.

List of candidate drafts:
- draft-card-tmrid-uas-reqs
- draft-card-tmrid-uas-arch
- draft-wiethuechter-tmrid-auth
- draft-moskowitz-hip-new-crypto
- draft-moskowitz-orchid-cshake
- draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit
- draft-moskowitz-hip-hhit-registries

References:
[1] ASTM International F38 Committee Work Item WK65041 “Standard
Specification for UAS Remote ID and Tracking”
https://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/WORKITEMS/WK65041.htm [2] UAS
Identification and Tracking Aviation Rulemaking Committee Recommendations
Final Report 2017 SEP 30
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/committees/documents/media/UAS%20ID%20ARC%20Final%20Report%20with%20Appendices.pdf
[3] Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM)
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/12/31/2019-28100/remote-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems
[4] https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_del/2019/945/oj [5]
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_impl/2019/947/oj

Milestones:

  Mar 2020 - Requirements and architecture drafts

  Mar 2021 - Solution space documents