Subject: [Drip] Document Action: 'Drone Remote Identification Protocol (DRIP) Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-drip-reqs-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 06:32:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Drone Remote Identification Protocol (DRIP) Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-drip-reqs-18.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Drone Remote ID Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-drip-reqs/

Technical Summary

   This document defines terminology and requirements for Drone Remote
   Identification Protocol (DRIP) Working Group solutions to support
   Unmanned Aircraft System Remote Identification and tracking (UAS RID)
   for security, safety, and other purposes. Complementing external
   technical standards as regulator-accepted means of compliance with
   UAS RID regulations, DRIP is meant to facilitate use of existing Internet
   resources to support UAS RID and to enable enhanced related services,
   and enable online and offline verification that UAS RID information
   is trustworthy.

Working Group Summary

  This document ran 7 versions before adoption by the WG.

   No major points of contention were encountered during the adoption,
   development, and WGLC.

   Slots were dedicated to this draft in 8 WG meetings (from 2020-03-25
   to 2020-10-28).  These slots helped to identify and fix issues.  The
   authors implemented the outcomes of the discussions held in these
   meetings.

   Given the scope of the draft (and the WG in general), the Chairs
   contacted dozens of SDOs and organizations to socialize the WG in
   general, and to notify them about WGLC.  Representatives of other
   organizations attended the WG meeting and contributed to the
   discussion.  For example, ICAO representatives (Saulo Da Silva)
   attended the meetings and shared some feedback.  Special care was
   given the privacy since early stage of this document.

   To further stress on that, the WG Chairs solicited detailed reviews
   such as: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tm-rid/8iXcPG2tgR7VQVrIPZUr1JiA7g0/.  
   The authors updated the draft accordingly.

   Early versions of the document was largely based on the process
   of one region (US). The WG discussed that issue at the time and 
   agreed to progress the work based on available inputs/volunteers
   as any other IETF effort. Also, the WG agreed to record this issue
   in an appendix. Since then, the document was enriched with inputs
   and relevant documents from the EU region. 

   The authors released -13 to address both secdir and opsdir reviews. 
   Like many other documents these days, no other comments were received
   as part of the IETF Last Call.  

Document Quality

   Detailed reviews were received for the draft, e.g.,
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tm-rid/nE40wF9i-
   eUxx21ffQzW3njv9ZU/.

   These reviews helped to enhance the quality of the document.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Mohamed Boucadair
   <[email-masked]>

   The Responsible Area Director is Éric Vyncke <[email-masked]>