Subject: [Drip] draft-ietf-drip-rid EdDSA HOST_ID needs updated rfc 8005

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 08:41:25 -0500

My bad for only catching this now, but at least I caught it during wglc:

RFC 8005 sec 5.5  Public Key Format

HIP DNS RR, unlike DANE TLSA RR, does not use a format that inherits 
public key formats via some other mechanism (TLSA uses ASN.1 
SubjectPublicKeyInfo).  It is rather direct in what is included.

Thus to support the new EdDSA HOST_ID type, rfc 8005 needs to be updated 
to reference RFC 8080 to allow for EdDSA PK in the HIP RR. Or at least 
that would parallel what was done for ECDSA.

I could do this with a section

3.4.1.1  HIP DNS RR support for EdDSA

And then request IANA to update:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipseckey-rr-parameters/ipseckey-rr-parameters.xhtml

Algorithm Type Field

to add recommended

4     An EdDSA key is present, in the format defined in [RFC8080]     
[RFC????]

Comments?

Should this update to 8005 be part of drip-rid where the HIP HOST_ID 
parameter gets a new EdDSA algorithm or should this be handled in a 
separate draft?

Bob