Subject: [Drip] IETF 112 drip-rid presentation comment

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:13:05 -0500

<Jaime Jimenez_web_478> asked:

@Bob I had a look at draft-ietf-drip-rid-13. As a complete outsider it 
would help to see some table for section 3 with the fields involved (if 
possible).

Does this help?

+=============+=========+===============+==========================+
    | IANA Prefix | HID     | HIT Suite ID  | ORCHID hash              |
+=============+=========+===============+==========================+
    | max 28 bits | 32 bits | 4 (or 8) bits | 96 - L(prefix) - L(Suite |
    |             |         |               | ID), e.g. 64 bits        |
+-------------+---------+---------------+--------------------------+

                            Table 1: HHIT Format

rather than:

    *  IANA prefix (max 28 bit)

    *  32 bit Hierarchy ID (HID)

    *  4 (or 8) bit HIT Suite ID

    *  ORCHID hash (96 - prefix length - Suite ID length bits, e.g. 64)
       See Section 3.5

Then I would have to work out what to do with HID...

There is nothing to "lift" from 7401 or 7343.

Bob

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:02:44 +0000

Hi Bob, all,

Adding Jaime as I’m not sure he is on the list.

FWIW, here is another proposal that includes also RAA and HDA parts:

               16 bits| 16 bits           4 or 8 bits

              +-------+-------+         +--------------+

              |  RAA  | HDA   |         | HIT Suite ID |

              +-------+-------+         +--------------+

               \              /    ____/   ___________/

                \             \  _/  _____/

                  \            \/   /
   |    p bits    |  32 bits   |s  |   o=96-p-s bits        |
   +--------------+------------+---+------------------------+
   | IANA Prefix |    HID     |HSI|      ORCHID hash      |
   +--------------+------------+---+------------------------+

Cheers,
Med

De : Tm-rid <[email-masked]> De la part de Robert Moskowitz
Envoyé : jeudi 11 novembre 2021 22:13
À : [email-masked]
Objet : [Drip] IETF 112 drip-rid presentation comment

@Bob I had a look at draft-ietf-drip-rid-13. As a complete outsider it would help to see some table for section 3 with the fields involved (if possible).

Does this help?

                           Table 1: HHIT Format

rather than:

Bob

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;
they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 10:35:05 -0500

This ended up in junk as well.  :(

Med,

this looks good.  I will see how I can incorporate it in ver -14

Bob

On 11/12/21 02:02, [email-masked] wrote:
>  16 bits| 16 bits4 or 8 bits
>
> *De :* Tm-rid <[email-masked]> *De la part de* Robert Moskowitz
> *Envoyé :* jeudi 11 novembre 2021 22:13
> *À :* [email-masked]
> *Objet :* [Drip] IETF 112 drip-rid presentation comment
>
> would help to see some table for section 3 with the fields involved 
> (if possible).
>
> Does this help?
>

---

From: "Card, Stu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:15:39 -0500

I have a comment on the substance, not the presentation.

Adam & I would really like to see a CIDR-like structure here rather than a
strict 8 bit RAA + 8 bit HDA.
That would support flexible efficient allocation of the space, as IANA and
the regional routing registries do with IP addresses.

We also would like to move away from the severely limiting 4.5 bit HIT
Suite ID.
The compromise of 20 years ago does _not_ provide an optional 8 bit range
as might appear.
It provides 4 bits, of which 1 value means look at the other 4 bits, so
only 31 values total, not 256.
Trying to maintain backwards compatibility with an essentially non-existent
installed base is not worth limiting us going forward.
Tempered Networks are the primary actual users. Their systems are in walled
gardens, so can migrate on their own schedule. Jeff?

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 10:35 AM Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> *De :* Tm-rid <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> *De la
> part de* Robert Moskowitz
> --
> Tm-rid mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tm-rid
>