Subject: clarification on compatibility matrix in IESG note

From: Michael Boe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 12:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

Folks:

Attached is a recent note from the IESG describing the promotion of the TN3270E
specification to the status of Draft Standard from Proposed Standard. This is
good news.

There have been some quibbles with the interoperability matrix contained in the
IESG note. Specifically, the note does not claim ASSOCIATE capability for one
or more clients that now have that capability. I wrote the interoperability
note, and apologize if I've under-claimed the functional abilities of certain
clients.  This matrix was put together well over a year ago based on the state
of play that was known at the time. Lack of inclusion in the matrix does not
imply that non-included products are in any deficient; inclusion in the matrix
merely indicates that the product had the full range of RFC1647 capabilities
over a year ago and was one of the first two client or server products that
sprung into my mind :-).

To summarize:  nobody should take the products or vendors listed in the
interoperability matrix as being an exhaustive list of compliant
implementations of the TN3270E Draft Standard. Further, vendors listed as not
having implemented ASSOCIATE may well have a working implementation of
ASSOCIATE now; it just happened that I couldn't confirm that it was a working
implementation a year ago.  The interoperability matrix presented to the IESG
had a single purpose: to demonstrate that the TN3270E specification had
sufficient number of interoperable implementations to be considered viable.

I look forward to see many of you at the June TIE.

/msb

Subject: Protocol Action: TN3270 Enhancements to Draft Standard
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:55:59 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'TN3270 Enhancements'
<draft-ietf-tn3270e-ver2-enhance-01.txt> as a Draft Standard, replacing
RFC1647 (currently a Proposed Standard. This document is the product of
the Telnet TN3270 Enhancements Working Group.  The IESG contact persons
are Patrik Falkstrom and Keith Moore.

In the same action, the IESG reclassified RFC1041 (Telnet 3270 regime
option) as Historic.

Technical Summary

 This document describes extensions/enhancements to telnet to allow
 it to deal with 3270 terminals (or emulators) and hosts that like
 to talk to such things.  This is a draft-standard update for RFC 1647,
 which has been revised based on implementation experience by a
 number of different vendors.

Working Group Summary

 The WG is happy with this document, and has long since moved on
 to discussing other things.

Protocol Quality

 Keith Moore reviewed the spec for IESG.

Implementation Information
===========================
Matrix of TN3270E features

-----------------------------------------------------------
FEATURE              SV#1       SV#2    CV#1    CV#2
-----------------------------------------------------------
NULL TN3270E Operation:
                        x       x       x       x
TN3270E Negotiation:
        ASSOCIATE       x       x       x       x
          CONNECT       x       x       x       x
FUNCTIONS:
       BIND-IMAGE       x       x       x       x
  DATA-STREAM_CTL       x       x       x       x
        RESPONSES       x       x       x       x
    SCS-CTL-CODES       x       x       x       x
           SYSREQ       x       x       x       x
DISPLAYS:
       LU type  1       x       x       x       x
       LU type  2       x       x       x       x
       LU type  3       x       x       x       x

x == implemented and interoperable.

SV#1 = IBM
SV#2 = OpenConnect Systems
CV#1 = IBM
CV#2 = NetManage

All the above implementations have different source code bases and
histories.

Please note that there are other implementations that support all the
features except ASSOCIATE. These include a server implementation from
Cisco Systems, and client implementations from WRQ, Zephyr, Wall Data,
etc.

The interoperability (above) and robustness of the spec has been
demonstrated at the last two TIEs (TN3270 Interoperability Events),
held at the Cisco Systems RTP, North Carolina, USA location.