Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn3270-mib-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 09:46:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Telnet TN3270 Enhancements Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Base Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E 
                          Using SMIv2
	Author(s)	: R. Moore, K. White
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn3270-mib-08.txt
	Pages		: 54
	Date		: 18-May-98
	
This memo defines a Management Information Base (MIB) for configuring
and managing TN3270E servers.  TN3270E, defined by RFC 1647 [15], refers
to the enhancements made to the Telnet 3270 (TN3270) terminal emulation
practices.  Refer to RFC 1041 [14], RFC 854 [12], and RFC 860 [13] for a
sample of what is meant by TN3270 practices.
 
The MIB defined by this memo provides generic support for both host and
gateway TN3270E server implementations.  A TN3270E server connects a
Telnet client performing 3270 emulation to a target SNA host over both a
client-side network (client to TN3270E server) and an SNA Network
(TN3270E server to target SNA host).  The client-side network is
typically TCP/IP, but it need not be.
 
A host TN3270E server refers to an implementation where the TN3270E
server is collocated with the Systems Network Architecture (SNA) System
Services Control Point (SSCP) for the dependent Secondary Logical Units
(SLUs) that the server makes available to its clients for connecting
into a SNA network.  A gateway TN3270E server resides on an SNA node
other than an SSCP, either an SNA type 2.0 node, a
boundary-function-attached type 2.1 node, or an APPN node acting in the
role of a Dependent LU Requester (DLUR).  Host and gateway TN3270E
server implementations typically differ greatly as to their internal
implementation and system definition (SYSDEF) methods.
 
It is the intent that the MIB defined herein be extended by subsequent
memos.  For example, one such extension enables collection of TN3270E
response time data.  The specification of this MIB uses the Structure of
Management Information (SMI) for Version 2 of the Simple Network
Management Protocol (refer to RFC1902 [3]).

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn3270-mib-08.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn3270-mib-08.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn3270-mib-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.