Subject: Tn3287 Print / RFC1646

From: Jim Mathewson II <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:24:39 -0500

The copy of the 1646 that I have says:

"If the first bytes is not zeros, then that byte will be a valid LU type 3
Write-Command-Code (WCC), which can NEVER be zeros."

There are a number of errors in that statement

   1: A WCC can be zero.
   2. WCC stands for Write Control Character NOT Write Command Code.

so I assumes it should really read as follows:

"If the first byte is not zeros, then that byte will be a valid LU3 3270
Command which can NEVER be zeros."

As the valid 3270 commands on a LU3 session are:

'11'x & 'F3'x - Write Structured Fields
'05'x & 'F5'x - Erase Write
'01'x & 'F1'x - Write
'0D'x & '7E'x - Erase Write Alternate
'06'x & 'F6'x - Read Modified
'0F'x & '6F'x - Erase All Unprotected

None of them are '00'x

Later

Hello,

My name is Hans Erik N‘sheim, author and owner of Nexus Mainframe Terminal -
Tn3270 (NMT).
Nmt is a winsock based telnet 3270 emulator (http://home.sol.no/~hen/nmt.htm).
Nmt is a shareware product. The released version has not support for Tn3287
print (LU1/3), but I hope to have it ready whithin a few weeks.
But I have one question about the RFC (1646). I have tried to get in contact
with Mr. Cleve Graves and Mr. Thomas Butts at Open Connect System but without
any response.
In section 4.1 it is stated that the print job is a LU type 1 print if the
first byte is zero (OK).
But if it is not than it is a LU type 3, and the first byte is a WCC (Write
Control Code). Is that correct? Isn't the first byte a SNA Write Code
(WRITE/ERASEWRITE) and than the second byte the WCC?

Can someone help me with this question?
Or/and do you know someone who can help me with some testing?

Have a nice day, and thank you for your time.

Hans Erik

---

From: Michael Boe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:58:53 -0500

>    2. WCC stands for Write Control Character NOT Write Command Code.

Well, I think really there's only one:  typo on WCC, which should be
Command instead.

/msb