Subject: RE: draft-ietf-tn5250e-02.txt

From: Jeffrey Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:04:59 -0400

Paul,

Both IBMTRANSFORM values (0 and 1) should be supported.

You have some valid points, and I can only say that the printers currently
supported using Telnet are IBM-3812-1 and IBM-5553-B01.  These are passed
(negotiated) using TERMINAL-TYPE.  If and when more printer types are supported
(particularly new and future models), the printer list will probably expand.
The list will be maintained in the Telnet publication (see RFC reference [4])
as part of the supported types table.

Jeffrey Stevens/Endicott/IBM - AS/400 TCP/IP (Telnet/WSG/LPD)
Work:  [email-masked]   Personal: [email-masked]
"Diplomacy - the art of letting someone have your way."

---------------------- Forwarded by Jeffrey Stevens/Endicott/IBM on 05/13/98
02:23 PM ---------------------------

[email-masked] on 05/07/98 01:20:18 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: Jeffrey Stevens/Endicott/IBM@ibmus
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-tn5250e-02.txt

Dear Jeffrey,

I have some questions about the printer support of TN5250E.

1. The printing example in the draft RFC is using the AS/400 feature Host Print
Transform to convert the AS/400 EBCDIC data to ASCII data on the AS/400 before
sending the information to the sample TN5250E client. I am interested in the
other possible scenario where the IBMTRANSFORM parameter is set to NO. In this
case EBCDIC data is transferred directly from the AS/400 to the target TN5250E
print client. My first question is about the current implementation of the
TN5250E server support in OS/400. Does it support the IBMTRANSFORM NO selection?

2. Assuming that it is possible for a TN5250E print client to receive EBCDIC
data, I see a potential problem with the current printer terminal type
selections available.

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: [email-masked]
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606
140 Congress St., #2                                Fax: 603-436-6432
Portsmouth, NH  03801-4019