Subject: Technical changes to the TN3270E MIBs resulting from Randy P

From: Robert Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 01:08:43 -0500

As we agreed in the WG meeting yesterday, I'm posting brief summaries
of the technical changes to our two MIB documents resulting from Randy
Presuhn's review.

There are no changes to the Response Time MIB that would qualify as
technical:  lots of editorial clarifications, a few cases where
specific values are identified for exception cases, but nothing that
would affect the mainline code in an implementation.

For the TN3270E Configuration MIB, there are four technical changes;
items 2 and 3 are the ones I identified in the WG meeting.  In
addition, there are the same sorts of non-technical changes I listed
above for the Response Time MIB.  Here are the technical changes for
the Configuration MIB:

1. A new object reporting a TN3270E server's last activation time will
   be added to the Tn3270eSrvrConfTable.  This object will have the
   syntax DateAndTime, and will serve to define the epoch relative to
   which the TimeStamp field in the IANATn3270eLogData TC and the
   TCP connection up time object described below are defined.

2. A new object recording the time a TCP connection came up will be
   added to the Tn3270eTcpConnTable.  This object will have the syntax
   TimeTicks, relative to the epoch defined by the server last
   activation object mentioned above.  It will serve as the
   discontinuity indicator for the two counters that appear in the
   Tn3270eTcpConnTable.

3. Two new states will be added to the tn3270eSrvrConfOperStatus
   object.  The object will now contain the following four states:

        up(1)            - the server is active and accepting new
                           client connections
        down(2)          - the server is not active
        busy(3)          - the server is active, but is not accepting
                           new client connections because it lacks
                           the resources to do so
        shuttingDown(4)  - the server is active, but is not accepting
                           new client connections because it is in
                           the process of performing a graceful
                           shutdown

4. The descriptive text for the tn3270eSrvrStatsTable will specify
   that an implementation may, for a given TN3270E server, have EITHER
   a single global entry for the entire server, or separate entries per
   port / local address, but not both.

If you have comments on any of these changes, please post them to
this mailing list.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
IBM Networking Software
+1-919-254-4436
[email-masked]