Subject: TN3270E-RT-MIB question

From: Vince Deters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:25:13 -0400

Hi -

Concerning the following text in draft-ietf-tn3270e-rt-mib-07.txt:

"All entries associated with a tn3270eRtCollCtlEntry are deleted from
the
tn3270eRtDataTable when that entry is deleted from the
tn3270eRtCollCtlTable.  An entry for an individual client in a client
group is deleted when its TCP connection terminates.  Once it has been
created, a client's entry in the tn3270eRtDataTable remains active as
long as the collection's tn3270eRtCollCtlEntry exists, even if the
client is removed from the client group for the tn3270eRtCollCtlEntry."

- In the second sentence, does "An entry for an individual client" refer
to an entry in the tn3270eRtDataTable, or that client's membership in a
client group?
- In the third sentence, is it correct that the entry ceases to be
active when the client's TCP connection terminates?

What I'm trying to determine is the persistence of data associated with
a client when that client disconnects and reconnects, for both values of
aggregate.

Thanks,
Vince Deters

--
Vince Deters                           |        |         |
[email-masked]                      |       :|:       :|:
7025 Kit Creek Road, P.O. Box 14987    |     :|||||:   :|||||:
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709       |   .:|||||||:.:|||||||:.
919-472-2362      fax: 919-472-2940    |  C i s c o S y s t e m s

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 98 14:45:22 EDT

Vince,

>- In the second sentence, does "An entry for an individual client" refe

The second and third sentences are trying to explain that if a
collection was started with data being requested to be kept on all
members of an client group individually (aggregate(0)
tn3270eRtCollCtlType option not selected) then the
tn3270eRtDataEntry associated with a client connection remains in
the table as long as the tn3270eRtCollCtlEntry remains and the
client connection exists. Removing a client from a client group
doesn't remove it from the tn3270eRtDataTable.

>active when the client's TCP connection terminates?

The third sentence is trying to explain persistence with respect to
Client Group membership. The intent is that an individual
tn3270eRtDataEntry would be deleted if its TCP connection terminates.

>a client when that client disconnects and reconnects, for both values of

Regards, Ken

---

From: Michael Boe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:01:04 -0700 (PDT)

> doesn't remove it from the tn3270eRtDataTable.

The language in the sentence is unclear; one might be tempted to think that the
"entry" in the first part of the second sentence refers to that client's
membership in a client group. Also (as in several others places in the
document) there's been an unclean change from "client" to "TCP connection" due
to the recent change in semantics of tn3270RtDataEntry.
You might want to change "An entry for an individual client" to "An entry in
the tn3270eRtDataTable for an individual TCP connection."

Also, please examine the document for references to "client" where "client TCP
connection" would be more appropriate (due to the recent change in semantics of
tn3270RtDataEntry).

/msb