Subject: Re:

From: "sameer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:31:06 +0530

Hi all,

I am new to this type of technology and have just joined the list.

I want to develop a terminal emulation software for Telnet server on 5250
and 3270. I checked for the specs on the internet just to find the RFCs.
These RFCs seems to be based on the "IBM 5250 Information Display System,
Functions Reference Manual", SA21-9247-6". This is one document I could not
find on the IBM site. Can anyone tell me how to obtain this document. Which
are the RFCs I should refer to to get sufficient knowldege about the two
protocols.

Regards
Sameer

---

From: "Robert C. Wessel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 01:36:28 -0500

Sameer,

You can order many back level and "out-of-print" IBM publications from:

http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/public/applications/publications/cgibin/pbi
.cgi

(Select search and enter SA21-9247 as the publication number).

For the "out-of-print" stuff, this is a POD system, so anything "old" you
order (at least in my experience) arrives in black and white and on 8.5x11
paper, which is rather funny if you've ordered a pocket reference card.
But heck, so long as you can read it...

-Robert

---

From: "sameer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:15:26 +0530

Hi Robert,

Are there any latest documents which should give me all functions to be
implemented without referring to the old out of print documents, in order to
develop a terminal emulation?

Sameer

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert C. Wessel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 12:06 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re:

Sameer,

-Robert

---

From: "Robert C. Wessel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 02:01:41 -0500

Sameer,

There are new features in some newer terminals, but you'll want to start
with the 5250 Functions Reference (SA21-9247).  Unless you have special
requirements, you'll probably not need any of the newer stuff anyway.

A word of advice: You'll obviously want to have some other 5250
implementations  available so that you can do the usual reverse
engineering.  5250 is rather complex, and the implementations have vary
considerable in quality, so don't put too much faith in any one 5250
emulator (TN5250 or otherwise) as regards the performance of the more
obscure features (for example, the implementations of autofill, autoskip,
mandatory enter and the like are just all over the place, and those aren't
all that obscure).  We picked up a few different models of "real" 5250
terminals (used and cheap, of course) for baseline testing, which was helpful.

-Robert

---

From: "sameer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:07:03 +0530

Robert,

I have IBM Manager print preview of 3270 programmers reference
(GA23-0059-07). Is this enough to start with terminal emulation development.
If not, what are the other documents I should refer to?

-Sameer

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Robert C. Wessel
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 12:32 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: 5250 Documentation

Sameer,

terminals (used and cheap, of course) for baseline testing, which was
helpful.

-Robert

---

From: "Hans Erik Nesheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:46:44 +0200

Sameer,

I have written a telnet 3270 and 5250 test service, which can be very usefully for your development.
It's a NT service, which can handle both tn3270 and tn5250 clients. The reply from the service is
different 3270 or 5250 screen images with most of the attributes needed. The service has three
different ports for connections. One is a normal reply mode port, one is a slow mode reply port
and the other is a stress test (performance) connection port. More information and download in the
services section at www.nexit.com It can also be downloaded from the test center at www.tn3270.com

Regards,
Hans Erik

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

---

From: "sameer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 14:33:02 +0530

thanks, that's very kind of you Hans.
-Sameer

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Hans Erik Nesheim
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 1:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: 5250 Documentation

Sameer,

I have written a telnet 3270 and 5250 test service, which can be very
usefully for your development.
It's a NT service, which can handle both tn3270 and tn5250 clients. The
reply from the service is
different 3270 or 5250 screen images with most of the attributes needed. The
service has three
different ports for connections. One is a normal reply mode port, one is a
slow mode reply port
and the other is a stress test (performance) connection port. More
information and download in the
services section at www.nexit.com It can also be downloaded from the test
center at www.tn3270.com

Regards,
Hans Erik

On 5/7/2003 at 13:07 sameer wrote:

>>http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/public/applications/publications/cgibin/p
b
>i