Subject: graphics for 3270/5250

From: "sameer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:24:48 +0530

Hi,
    I am interested in the type of graphic capabilities that are supported
in 3270/5250 terminal emulation. Basically I want to know how to handle the
Graphic information from the IBM server. Can the graphics be handled using
Visual Basic? Can somebody please provide me with useful pointers?

---

From: "sameer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:04:39 +0530

Dear all,

Is this forum so dumb? I did not receive any answers to my previous post. Or
was my question very much outdated? Anyway, can anyone tell me whats a GUI
mode and whats non GUI mode in 5250/3270 emulation?

can anybody please list out the documents needed to developed both
emulations?

regards
Sameer

---

From: Michael Boe <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 2003 23:56:44 -0700

Well...this forum is really for the standardization of protocols
relating to TN3270(E) clients and servers, and also addresses protocol
issues with TN5250 clients and servers.  It is not about how to
implement clients, and not really about any of the topics you've sought
help on so far.

regards,
/msb

--
Michael Boe <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Robert C. Wessel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 02:18:32 -0500

Sameer,

The IBM "3270 Information Display System, Datastream Programmer's
Reference", GA23-0059-07, available from IBM, both electronically and in
hardcopy, covers all of the relevant 3270 stuff.  Go to:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/library

and search on the document number.

Graphics on 3270 are handled by defining character sets with symbols
matching a character cell sized piece of your image (see the "Load
Programmed Symbols" outbound structured field).  Once defined, you select
the character set and symbols to display with the "Character Set" extended
attribute, or with the "Graphics Escape" (GE) order.

In addition, you need to properly respond to the "Character Set" "Read
Partition Query", and a few other things (amongst other things, review the
"Graphic Color" and "Graphic Symbol Sets" RPQRs).

There are also the "Object *" Inbound/Outbound SFs, which are supported on
some devices, but I don't know many details, so you'll have to do some
research.

-Robert