Subject: IMPORTANT RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:08:35 +0100

Please note that the draft reffered to by this E-mail was submitted by
Surendra Reddy and not me.

Although it names me as author as well as Surendra. I want to state that
at no time prior to its submission to the IETF was this document made
available to me for review.

Upon downloading and examining Surendra's document I find it lacking.

Specifically only one diagram from the PDF version available from the
OTP web site (http://www.otp.org) has been included. In addition
sections from the original document have been omitted without
explanation.

In my view this makes the document:
*	unsuitable for review and discussion by the Trade WG as well as
*	unsuitable for the building of OTP solutions

It is *not* version 1.0 of IOTP.

I want to disassociate myself from this particular version since I have
not been involved in its production and it was submitted without my
permission even though I am named as author.

I am meeting with Surendra next Wednesday (30th November) and will work
with him to identify how Surendra, in his role of Trade WG Editor, and I
can work effectively together in the production of future versions of
the specification. I will report back on this meeting with an e-mail to
the WG.

Finally, as described in the IETF charter, there *will* shortly be a
*real* version 1.0 including changes arising from the RBC version from
OTP as well as the changes described in the "Changes 2" file I recently
submitted to the mailing list. I have also asked the chair of the Trade
>WG,  Don Eastlake, to remove the version located at
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt
as I think its presence only causes confusion.

Regards
David Burdett
Development Director
>Mondex International Limited
mailto:<[email-masked]>
>US Advanced Technology Office: 111 Pine St, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA
>94111
Tel/Voicemail: +1 415 645 6973	Fax: +1 415 956 9370

>----------
>From: 	[email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	23 September 1998 15:42
>To: 	The recipient's address is unknown.
>Cc: 	[email-masked]
>Subject: 	I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt
>
><<File: ATT00006.txt>><<File:
>draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt.url>>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Internet Open Trading Protocol Working Group
>of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Internet Open Trading Protocol - IOTP
>	Author(s)	: S. Reddy, D. Burdett
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt
>	Pages		: 191
>	Date		: 22-Sep-98
>	
>  The  Internet  Open  Trading  Protocol  (IOTP)  provides  an
>  interoperable framework for Internet commerce. It is payment
>  system independent and encapsulates payment systems such as SET,
>  Mondex, CyberCash, DigiCash, GeldKarte, etc. IOTP is able to
>  handle cases where such merchant roles as the shopping site, the
>  payment handler, the Delivery Handler of goods or services, and
>  the provider of customer support are performed by different
>  parties or by one party.
>
>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts directories are located at:
>
>	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
>	
>	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
>		ftp.nis.garr.it
>			
>	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
>	
>	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
>	
>	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.
>
>Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-00.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street, London  EC4M 5SQ
England
Registered No: 3122085, England

Telephone No: +44 (0)171 557 5000
Web Site: http://www.mondex.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 02:25:48 -0400

I hope that everyone will accept my apologies for not properly
managing the submission of this draft.

All future drafts are to be channeled through me as working group
chair and no future "draft-ietf-trade..." draft are to be posted to
the internet-drafts directories without my approval.

To avoid possibilities of confusion, I have appended below a place
holder version -01 of this draft which I will submit to be posted
in the Internet-Draft directories.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Message-Id:  <c=GB%a=_%p=Mondex_Internati%l=[email-masked]
ex.com>
To:  "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc:  "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date:  Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:08:35 +0100
X-elistx:  ietf-trade

>Please note that the draft referred to by this E-mail was submitted by


INTERNET-DRAFT                                                 IOTP v1.0
                                                          September 1998
                                                      Expires March 1999

           Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) Version 1.0
           -------- ---- ------- -------- ------ ------- ---

                         Donald E. Eastlake 3rd

                        Status of This Document

   A later version of this draft, file name draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-
   protocol-01.txt, is intended to become an Informational RFC.
   Distribution of this document is unlimited.  Comments should be sent
   to the TRADE WG mailing list <[email-masked]>.

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
   months.  Internet-Drafts may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by
   other documents at any time.  It is not appropriate to use Internet-
   Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as a
   ``working draft'' or ``work in progress.''

   To view the entire list of current Internet-Drafts, please check the
   "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), ftp.nordu.net (Northern
   Europe), ftp.nis.garr.it (Southern Europe), munnari.oz.au (Pacific
   Rim), ftp.ietf.org (US East Coast), or ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

   Technical control over the Internet Open Trading Protocol is being
   transfered to the IETF TRADE working group from the OTP Consortium.
   In some cases, the most current version of techncial documents is an
   OTP Consortium version that has not yet been republished as an RFC
   and is available from <http://www.otp.org> web site (which has not
   yet been fully updates to indicate the technical switch to the IETF).

   In this case, see
   <http://www.otp.org/otp/Home.nsf/f86055a20977be50862564b3004d010a/
   42b496239c5956aa8625655a007b1835/$FILE/OTP_Spec_v_0-9-9_ltr.pdf>.  It
   is intended that that document be published as an later verson of
   this internet-draft and then as an Informational RFC.

D. Eastlake                                                     [Page 1]


INTERNET-DRAFT                 IOTP V1.0                  September 1998

Abstract

   The Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) provides an interoperable
   framework for Internet commerce.  It is payment system independent
   and can encapsulates a variety of payment systems. IOTP is able to
   handle cases where such merchant roles as the shopping site, the
   payment handler, the delivery handler of goods or services, and the
   provider of customer care are performed by different parties or by
   one party.

   [This draft is a place holder for an internet-draft version of the
   v1.0 starting point for the trade working group.]

Table of Contents

      Status of This Document....................................1

      Abstract...................................................2
      Table of Contents..........................................2

      1. Place Holder............................................3
      2. Security Considerations.................................3

      References.................................................4
      Author's Address...........................................4
      Expiration and File Name...................................4

D. Eastlake                                                     [Page 2]


INTERNET-DRAFT                 IOTP V1.0                  September 1998

1. Place Holder

   Technical control over the Internet Open Trading Protocol is being
   transfered to the IETF TRADE working group from the OTP Consortium.
   In some cases, the most current version of technical documents is an
   OTP Consortium version that has not yet been republished as an RFC
   and is available from <http://www.otp.org> web site (which has not
   yet been fully updates to indicate the technical switch to the IETF).

   In this case, see
   <http://www.otp.org/otp/Home.nsf/f86055a20977be50862564b3004d010a/
   42b496239c5956aa8625655a007b1835/$FILE/OTP_Spec_v_0-9-9_ltr.pdf>.  It
   is intended that that document be appropriately reformated / edited
   and published as an later verson of this internet-draft and then as
   an Informational RFC.

2. Security Considerations

   Security of Internet Open Trade Protocol messages is primarily
   dependent on signatures within IOTP as described in [v0.9.9].

   Note that the security of payment protocols transported by IOTP is
   the responsibility of those payment protocols.

D. Eastlake                                                     [Page 3]


INTERNET-DRAFT                 IOTP V1.0                  September 1998

References

   v0.9.9 - David Burdett, "Internet Open Trading Protocol, Version
      0.9.9", OTP Consortium, 17 August 1998.

Author's Address

   Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
   IBM
   318 Acton Street
   Carlisle, MA 01741 USA

   Telephone:   +1 978 287 4877
                +1 914 784-7913
   FAX:         +1 978 371 7148
   email:       [email-masked]

Expiration and File Name

   This draft expires December 1998.

   Its file name is draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-01.txt.

D. Eastlake                                                     [Page 4]