Subject: Minutes of the September 9-11 IETF Trade WG Meeting at Cyber

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:10:16 -0400

The detailed technical decisions have already been reported to the list for
consideration by David Burdett in his message which is available at <
http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/199809/msg00023.html>.  The material
here together with that message are the main meeting minutes.

Informational Highlights

A set of changes is being advanced for SET 2.0 which include a variety of
enhancements within the area that SET has covered but also include some things
the expand the boundaries of SET and get closer to IOTP such as merchant
authentication early in the shopping sequence.

The OECD is looking into cooperative ways to tax Internet commerce.  (See
separate messages posted on this topic.)

Bill Presentment was a popular topic and there was sentiment for having a bill
presentment section of a future requirements document that would emphasize
sending bills via email and mention the money transfer alternatives for their
payment.

SET in IOTP

The first day we split into an open group discussing SET in IOTP and a much
smaller closed group discussing Mondex in IOTP.  Separate minutes of the SET
IOTP meeting will be posted.

Implementation

The Royal Bank of Canada has implemented IOTP 0.9.  Their draft comments on 0.9
were reviewed in detail although Chris Smith of the Royal Bank was
unfortunately not able to be there.  A final version of these comments should
be posted to the list shortly.

Current Document & Technical Questions

See URL above for pointer to techncial decision detials.

A number of the documents are behind schedule and people need to be prodded to
make commitments for completing documents.  The current architecture document
still needs to be put up on the www.otp.org web site and announced.

Version 2.0 Planning

A major goal of the working group is to develop a Version 2 IOTP for the IETF
standards track.  We reviewed the Version 2 documents called for in the charter
and the possible new items in and out of scope for Version 2.  These lists were
refined with the main change that there was strong sentiment to include some
limited server to server messages so that, for example, the Payment Handler can
notify the Merchant of payment disposition and the Delivery Handler can notify
the Merchant and the Payment Handler of delivery disposition.

Dave Burdett gave a presentation on Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences.
This would be a major extension and refinement of OTP in version 2.  It would
permit much more general serial/parallel sequences of the various
authentication, offer, payment, delivery, customer care, etc., exchanges.
Basically, the originating OTP server (usually the Merchant) could specify the
blueprint for the work flow of the remainder of the transaction.  In some ways,
this simplifies OTP and makes it substantially more general.

Upcoming Meetings

There was sentiment to proceed with the November 10-12 meeting hosted by
Hitachi in Japan but only if at least 15 reasonably firm attendees sign up by
or around October 10th.  At the Hitachi meeting, it would be decided whether to
continue with these three day meetings but they will probably be continued at
the rate of three a year (down for the 5 or 6 before) and be half way between
the IETF meetings.  This would imply one in early February 1999, perhaps in
Europe.

Attendance:

May Adams, Defense Information Systems Agency
Terry Allen, Veo Systems
Noriyasu Arakwa, NTT
Hans-Bernhard Beykirch, SIZ
Brian Boesch, CyberCash
David Burdett, Mondex
Adrew Dapp, Hitachi
Donald Eastlake, IBM
Masaaki Hiroya, Hitachi
Stephen P. Howard, CertiCom
Yoshiaki Kawatsura, Hitachi
Paul Lampru, Citibank

=================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake, 3rd
318 Acton Street, Carlisle, MA 01741 USA
Internet: [email-masked]
1-978-287-4877, fax 1-978-371-7148
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]