Subject: Re: IOTP version 2.0 ideas

From: Hannu Nikkanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:32:27 +0200

Hi,

some new ideas for IOTP for your consideration. I'll be in Orlando to
explain this better.

1) Coupons, memberships (in addition to payment instrument) etc.

Most physical Merchants and some manufacturers offer incentives to
Consumers using 
membership ("Club XX" etc) or coupons.

The incentives may be:

a) special prices to products;
b) "two for the price of one"
c) coupons, which give discount to groups of products;
d) coupons, which have monetary value (to be used with any purchase at the
Merchant).

Note, that a, b and c effect the pre-tax price.

2) Customer may have contracts with subcontractors of the Merchant. The
Consumer may 
advice the Merchant to use the services of a certain subcontractor and make
this 
subcomtractor charge the Consumer directly.

As an example, I'm working for a Telco in Finland, where the market is
quite liberalized. 
Here, in addition to the all cost in one bill, Consumers may have contracts
with both 
local and long-distance Telco and have contracted to have automatically
separate billing. 
Technically, the Consumer dials the long-distance number, the local telco
routes the call 
in a special way to the long distance Telco, which recognizes the Consumer
from originating 
telepnone number. So, no call specific negotiation between the Consumer and
the subcontractor 
(long distance telco) takes place. (If You wonder why, e.g. homecalls of
employers may be 
added to company contract for quantity discounts).

The principle seems to expand also to other areas.

3) IOTP is very Consumer activity oriented. That is really needed for
privacy etc. but some 
merchants would like to make shopping easy for the customer. The main
points are:

a) shopping carts
b) the Merchants queries the Payment handler about the payment (sometimes
Consumers are "lost" 
and do not contract delivery handler) and take care of the activation of
delivery.

We should support also a "active Merchant" option.

Hannu 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]