Subject: Minutes of 17 December Con Call

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:35:30 -0500

There are primarily based on notes taken by Andrew Drapp.

Attendance:

Terry Allen	Veo
Donald Eastlake	IBM
David Burdett	MXI
Steve Howard	Certicom
Allen McNaughton	I-Net Systems
Michael Hardy	OECD
Andrew Drapp	Hitachi

Status of Documents:
Not much chnage since the last conference call and the IETF meeting.

Signatures:
It was discussed if XML digital signatures should be broken off of the
IETF IOTP group and a new independent group should be formed.  For now
work will continue by Richard Brown while the organizational aspects
are worked on.  What will happen with the W3C, that has security and
packaging on its agenda but has not done much, is unclear.

Steve Howard mentioned that the work on digital signatures appears to
be applicable to National Service/ID cards that some countries are
considering.  This would be a convenient method to offer other
services to citizens.

W3C micropayments:
The W3C has a micropayments initiative that includes payment scheme
selection but the overlap with IOTP is mostly theoretical.
Micropayment schemes are interested in embedded information in HTML
links so that you can piggyback a tiny payment along with the request
when the user clicks on the link and the like.  You might still want
the merchant to be able to say they accept several micropayment
schemes and the user software to automatically select one that the
user supports, but the heavy concern for minimum extra turn-arounds,
minimum extra bulk in messages, and maximum automatability add up to
make it substantially different.  Still, we should keep an eye on this
W3C effort.

Taxes:
Michael (from OECD) discussed his view on taxes within OTP, and how it
has been received on the mail list.  Michael was surprised that there
was a feeling that governments were trying to impose on trade.  All
international large scale business to business is already taxed via
settled procedures.  Business to Consumer transactions are small
enough that some sort of protocol, or combination of protocols will
need to be worked out.

Michael asked what channels he should use to find an official IOTP
liaison to the OECD to discuss technological issues with the OECD.
Donald suggested he contact Scott Bradner who is Vice Preisdent for
Standards of the Internet Society, the umbrella organization for the
IETF.  Many IETF external liaisons are via the IAB (Internet
Architecture Board).

Future Meetings:
Maybe MXI should host the meeting in London.  Since the meeting will
be in February, it should be in a warm place.  London is not warm.
So, southern Europe or southern America will also be considered.

Delays on version 1.0
1. Digital Signatures need to be decided upon (D. Eastlake).
2. IANA registration provisions needed (D. Eastlake).
3. Authentication exchanges need to be clarified (R. Brown).
4. Agreed protocol changes (D. Burdett).
5. SCCD payment methods should be included. (separate document, J. Sowler)

IOTP expansions:
An actual credit card transaction is similar to a government request
for a permit.  Information is transacted, and the government then 
needs to complete a large amount of verification and processing on 
the back end.  According to Steve, it should be possible to expand 
IOTP to include these other functions that do not revolve around
a payment.

Thanks,
Donald

Note: next conferecne call is January 7th.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]