Subject: General Minutes of the Tokyo TRADE WG Meeting

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 12:18:56 -0500

These are general minutes of the successful meeting of the IETF TRADE
working group at the offices of Hitachi in Tokyo.  More detailed
supplementary minutes of specific technical output from the meeting
have been posted.  All of this is for review by the mailing list and
in Orlando but the consensus at the meeting will stand unless there is
significant opposition.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 9th

The day stared with an official greeting by Akira Muramatsu of Hitachi
and a review of the agenda.

There were four main items covered:
(1) We completed discussion of the report from the Royal Bank of
Canada on their implmenetion of Version 0.9 of IOTP.  The output of
this were some items suggested as changed in Version 1.0 and some as
possibilities for Version 2.0.  These have been posted separately.
(2) There was some discussion, in connection with v2.0, of
representing and handling taxes under OTP.  This lead to the optional
Order Payment Annotations (see Tuesday).  It was felt there was no
reason to add a "Tax Exchange" transacation.
(3) There was extensive discussion of Draft 4 of the SET IOTP
Supplement.  This lead to tentative decisions that a provision for
repeating Packaged Content was needed.  There was also much discussion
of BrandIDs.  In IOTP, there is a BrandIDDomain specifier.  For credit
card oriented payment schemes, at least SET, it was decided to simply
use the SET BrandID system prefaced with a "SET:" BrandIDDomain
specifier.  There will also be an "IOTP": BandIDDomain and possibly
others. IANA registration services will be needed to registering BrandIDs
in the IOTP BrandIDDomain and for registering BrandIDDomains.  See
also separate minutes on SET/IOTP.
(4) There was a interesting live demonstration of Hitachi's
implementation of IOTP Version 0.9.  Chris Smith of the Royal Bank of
Canada, and Jason Flick of TouchNet had lots of technical questions
particularly related to client startup (see Wednesday below).

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10th

Techncial results of Monday were reviewed by David Burdett. 

-There was discussion of the v1.0 draft mostly leading to some
suggested format changes and attention to the need to make the
signature specification consistent and either included in the v1.0
document or clearly referenced outside of it.

- Possible Version 2.0 additions (on which there has been a separate
posting) include an optional non-critical Order Payment Annotation to
indication such things as what part of payment is taxes, shipping,
etc., or that loyalty points are being awarded for puchase, etc.

- There was extensive presentation and discussion of XML Namespaces
and the XML SIG draft by Richard Brown.  Some argued to keeping the
simplicity of the v~0.9 signatures without use of namespace (which had
been removed from the latest v1.0 draft) while others wanted something
much closer to the XML SIG draft with namespaces.  It was concluded
that the time constraints of Royal Bank, Hitchi, and probably others
who plan to implement v1.0 soon would not be met by the timeline for a
very general XML SIG based on broad XML community input.  Therefore,
some specific signature specification will be incorporated in v1.0.
Donald Eastlake agreed to look at the 0.9 signature spec again and
look at the possibility of a signature based on a simplified version
of the XML SIG draft and make a recommendation as to which should be
incorporated in the v1.0 specification.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11th

The remaining agenda was reviewed.

The possibility of a major project in Japan including Hitachi,
Fujitsu, and NTT, several banks, Card issuers: Visa, MasterCard,
Diners Club, JCB, Orient Corpt, Hitachi Credit, and a number of
merchants was leaked to the WG and Asian Business news channels.  The
initial phase would use IOTP over to the Internet in payment system
selection and connecting the merchant roles defined in IOTP.

The Architecture document was not discussed significantly.  People
thought it would be better to wait for more experience with its use.

Discussion of the HTTP Supplement lead to a list of changes that will
be discussed in Orlando and incorporated into an update.  This
dicussion also lead to an extended discussion of NetLocations (URLs)
for error logging and for redirection in case of success, error, or
cancellation of an IOTP Transactions.  (See V1.0 changes already
posted for conclusions.)

There was discussion of changing the target status for the V1.0
protocol document.  The original plan, as embodies in the TRADE WG
charter, was to publish this some months ago as Informational and then
proceed to develope a V2.0 as a Proposed Standard.  However, at this
point, it makes more sense to publish V1.0 as Proposed.  There are at
least three reasons for this: (a) v1.0 is has been under review and
improvement by the WG for some time and it may reasonably be the
consensus of the WG; (b) the Royal Bank, Hitachi, and others will be
implmenting v1.0 so it is likely there will be some interoperability
tests so it may even be possible to advance it to Draft Standard; and
(c) as a minor consideration, even v1.0 needs to call on some IANA
registration for Brands and it is not clear that an Information RFC
can do that.

There was an extensive discussion of "client side start up" and how to
handle authentication of the consumer by the merchant and the like.
Since authentiction can return extended information, this is a path by
which the merchant could ask for the ship to address and the like.
The conclusion was to permit authentication optionally before most
IOTP transactions and to add an AuthStatus message from merchant to
consumer that can be used to turn control back over to the consumer
browser and indicate success or failure of a merchant originated
authencation.

David Burdett proposed a strucutre for IOTP v2.0 documents (see
separate mail) that was well received.

On future meetings, there was a feeling that these three day meetings
outside of the IETF meeting should continue but substantially less
often that the former 6 times a year.  The next such WG meeting was
tentatively set for February 9-11, 1999, in either the US or Europe.
There was strong sentiment for a warm climate location but a specific
location was not selected.  Volunteer hosts are welcome to contact the
WG.  Donald Eastlake will look into the hosting possibilities at IBM.

ATTENDNACE LIST:
Akira Muramatsu, Hitachi
Andrew Drapp, Hitachi
Yoshiaki Kawatsura, Hitachi
Masaaki Hiroya, Hitachi
Donald Eastlake, IBM
Richard Brown, GlobeSet
Chris Smith, Royal Bank
Hajime Kojima, Fujitsu
David Burdett, Mondex
Jason Flick, TouchNet
Doug Taylor, TouchNet
Arakawa, NTT
Kayanuma Toshihiko, Epoch

Thanks,
Donald
=====================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1 978-287-4877    [email-masked]
 318 Acton Street         +1 978-371-7148(fax)       [email-masked]
 Carlisle, MA 01741 USA   +1 914 784 7913
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]