Subject: Re: IOTP and Tax Collection

From: Neil McEvoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 09:10:08 +0000

>This e-mail describes a potential way in which IOTP could be used to
>facilitate the recording and collection of tax information associated
>with e-commerce.

I don't think this is the usual way for new forms of commerce to develop: if
parties have a mutual benefit in executing trades they figure practical ways
of so doing: if the class of transactions becomes big enough to appear on
governments' radar, they (governments) try to figure ways of taxing them,
but it's not always practical, particularly if other jurisdictions don't tax
that class of transaction.

We should be so lucky if IOTP transactions appear on the radars, and our
efforts should be bent to this, because it's _our_ problem. Collecting taxes
on any or all e-commerce transactions may also be a  problem, but it's _not
our_ problem.

Regards,
Neil

----------------------------------------------------------------
Neil McEvoy                                             Hyperion
                                         8 Frederick Sanger Road
http://www.hyperion.co.uk/                  Surrey Research Park
mailto:[email-masked]                 Guildford, Surrey, UK
Finger for PGP public key                 Tel:+44 (0)1483 301793      
(new key Jan 98)                          Fax:+44 (0)1483 301793

Where people, networks and money come together..consult Hyperion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]