Subject: Brief summary of Ft. Lauderdale workshop

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:03:34 -0500

This a brief summary of what happened in Ft. Lauderdale.

Tuesday was the payment scheme day.  There was actually quite limited
discussion of the IOTP SET Supplement draft which is in pretty good shape.
The people at the meeting thought it should be issued as an Informational
RFC but only after the main document is out.  The SCCD (Secure Channel
Credit Debit) draft is still stuck with its current author.  SCCD is how to
do more or less the equivalent of SSL form credit card input inside IOTP.
Hopefully the current state of this draft can be retrieved from its current
author in not too many weeks.  Otherwise, it may be necessary to start a
new verison of the IOTP SCCD supplement.  Because payment scheme
disucssions did not take up the entire day, there was considerable
discussion of IOTP signatures on Tuesday

Wednesday the primary topic was signatures.  A fairly large number of
changes were made from Richard Brown's current draft for general XML
digital signatures <draft-brown-xml-dsig-00.txt> all of which were
motivated in some way by the IOTP requirements.  (Unfortunately Richard was
not there so we did not have the benefit of his understanding of why he did
certain things in certain ways or how he would solve some of the IOTP
requirements.)  The results of this have been posted separately and have
been discussed, mostly on the [email-masked] mailing list.

We also reviewed the other drafts being worked on.  The Architecture draft
is in reasonable shape but needs to be updated a bit.  Any comments,
particularly on implementation experience with the suggestions in that
draft would be appreciated.  The HTTP supplement needs to have previously
agreed changes incorporated into it and be reviewed again by the working
group.

Thursday, we finished up discussions on signatures and worked primarily on
the best structure for modularized documents.  The resulsts of this will be
posted separately.  There was a strong feeling that IOTP Messaging would be
suitable protocol to advance separately as a substrate for a wide variety
of XML communications, not just trading.

On getting V1.0 out in complete form for working group review, Kent
Davidson will produce a signature draft including the signature DTD.  Dave
Burdett will incorporate that DTD in the main draft DTD also.  The main
draft will talk about how to use signatures but Kent Davidson's draft will
give the specifics of constructing them.  Other changes to the main draft
to be done by Dave Burdett: remove tutorial section on XML, remove material
on Payment Instrument Customer Care communications as it is not complete
(definition of role can be left in), make any update needed to
authentication based on signature changes, and permit signatures on
delivery response.

On future workshops outside IETF meeting, the next one would logically by
in late May but there was no consensu among the attendees as to whether it
should occur.

Thanks,
Donald

PS: On general XML Digital Signatures, a BoF is being scheduled aimed at
the formation of an IETF Working Group in this area.  See
draft-brown-xml-dsig-00.txt and draft-hirosi-dom-hash-00.txt.  In
additional, a limited attendance W3C workshop on the topic has just been
announced for April.  See <
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/ds-xml-cfp-19990218.html>

Donald E. Eastlake, 3rd
17 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532 USA
[email-masked]   tel: 1-914-784-7913, fax: 1-914-784-3833
Notes: Donald Eastlake/Hawthorne/IBM@IBMUS

home: 65 Shindegan Hill Road, RR#1, Carmel, NY 10512 USA
[email-masked]   tel: 1-914-276-2668

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]