Subject: Capability detectio9n (was: "Wallet" Detection)

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:47:10 +0000

At 11:37 14/03/99 -0500, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:
>
>For the Internet Open Trading Protocol and similar protocols operating
>via HTTP, web servers are frequently faced with the problem of
>determining whether software to handle the protocol they wish to use
>is installed at the user's browser/machine.  This frequently means
>finding out if a particular MIME type, such as application/iotp, is
>being handled.

I would suggest that the work of the 'conneg' group might be surveyed for
possibly useful components (including some recent I-D submissions).

Also, the 'rescap' group's work might prove to have some relevance.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 02:55:19 -0500

"conneg" seems to be primarily concerned with future development in
how to negotiate the form of delivered information, not its type.
As such, I don't see how it is relevant to designing a workable technique
for near term implementation.  Even if a new standards track document
popped out soon, it could be long time before it is ceployed.

"rescap" doesn't seem to be on the IETF web pages right now.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Message-Id:  <[email-masked]>
X-Sender:  [email-masked]
Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:47:10 +0000
To:  "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Cc:  [email-masked]