Subject: Country Codes in IOTP

From: Tom Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:30:20 -0800

Sorry to send this again, but I blew the original version. ISO 3166-3:1999
specifies both two character alphanumeric and numeric country codes. My
actual question was related to the thread of the ISO 4217 discussion on the
list in asking that the IOTP specification define country codes as well as
currency codes. Further to suggest that the same specification be used on
the country code as was discribed on the currency code. This would be
country code type "iso3166-3:1999-a" for the alphanumeric version, and
"iso3166-3:1999-a" for the numeric version.

>Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:23:03 -0800
>To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>From: Tom Arnold <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Country Codes in IOTP
>In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
>References: <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
>
>In the same manner that ISO4217 is specified for currency codes, should
country codes be specified to ISO3166? Also, does it matter if two or three
character codes are used?

Tom Arnold
Vice President of Engineering
Chief Technical Officer
CyberSource Corporation
[email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:42:49 -0500

Doesn't it actually specify 2 and 3 letter alpha codes as well as the
three digit United Nations country number?

I agree that we should use the two letter country code but I think the
codes should be iso3166-a2, iso3166-a3, and iso3166-n.  On the other
hand there is probably less reason for custom countries than there
is for custom currencies (frequrent flyer miles, etc.)...

Thanks,
Donald

From:  Tom Arnold <[email-masked]>
Message-Id:  <[email-masked]>
X-Sender:  [email-masked]
Date:  Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:30:20 -0800
To:  "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>