Subject: New IOTP spec doiagram style. Comments please.

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:45:41 +0100

One of the comments that Don Eastlake makes about the latest version of the
IOTP spec is as follows ...

	"Page spanning figures, like Figure 3, are really pretty messy.  It
would be better if the text could be made much more terse and this and
similar figures started high on a page so they aren't split by a page
boundary."

I agree with Don that the diagrams are messy, but they contain the same text
as in an earlier version which used a drawing package to create them using
just "text". If the diagrams are made more terse, then some of the
explanation will have to be omitted.

An alternative is to adopt a different type of text diagram (see example
below which should be viewed in a fixed font).
Do people think this style is better. If there is a reasonable consensus
that it is then I will change the diagrams, otherwise I am inclined to leave
as is.

David
EXAMPLE of partially re-worked figure 3. See the current spec for the
original.

 CONSUMER               <<< IOTP MESSAGE >>>                    MERCHANT
  1. Consumer decides to trade and sends information about the
     transaction (requests an offer) to the Merchant, e.g.
     using HTML

        >>>Information on what is being paid for (outside scope of IOTP)>>>

                           2. Merchant decides which payment brand and
                              currencies/amounts to offer, places them in a
Brand
                              List Component and sends them to the Consumer

                           <<<< Brand List Component <<<<

  3. Consumer selects the payment brand, protocol and
     currency/amount, creates a Brand Selection Component and
     send it to the Merchant

                        >>>> Brand Selection Component >>>>

                           4. Merchant checks Brand Selection, creates
Payment
                              Amount information, optionally sings it to
                              authorise payment and sends it to the Consumer

               <<< Pay Amount; Organisations: Merchant  <<<
               <<< & Payment Handler; Signature (Offer) <<<

  5 Consumer checks the Payment Amount information and if OK
     reuqests that the payment starts by sending a Payment
     Request to the Payment Handler

       >>>      Brand List; Brand Selection; Pay Amount; Pay Scheme;
>>>
       >>> Organisations: Merchant and Payment Handler; Signature (Offer)
>>>

                                      etc ...

THIS EMAIL IS FOR UNLIMITED DISTRIBUTION
> mailto:<[email-masked]>
> Mondex International, US Advanced Technology Office
> 111 Pine St, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111
> Tel/Voicemail: +1 415 645 6973	Fax: +1 415 956 9370
> 

**********************************************************************************************

This Email and any attached files are confidential and may also be privileged. 
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the postmaster using email 
address [email-masked] or call +44 171 557 5000 and ask for the 
IT Helpdesk.  You should not copy this email and any attached files, use them 
for any purpose or disclose the contents to any other person; all copies of the 
Email and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SQ
United Kingdom
Registered No: 3122085, England

Phone:          +44 171 557 5000
Fax:            +44 171 557 5200
Email:          [email-masked]
WebSite:        http://www.mondexinternational.com

*********************************************************************************************
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]