Subject: Links in HTML data

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:45:43 +0100

Don Eastlake says in his email:

	"Section 3.8.1: I don't understand why sub-pages of an HTML main
page couldn't have links back to the main page."

In IOTP, where HTML is being used to describe a document such as an order
description or a payment note, then it is, in many ways being provided as an
alternative to a single, or multi-page "real world" document. These
documents should not in general be :"multi-media" documents, since for
purposes of non-refutability, the document should be self-contained and not
reliant on other records held elsewhere. For this reason links should only
be used to allow, for example, graphics and other display devices to be
included in the document.

Therefore in my opinion, this should not be allowed. What do other people
think?

David
> mailto:<[email-masked]>
> Mondex International, US Advanced Technology Office
> 111 Pine St, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111
> Tel/Voicemail: +1 415 645 6973	Fax: +1 415 956 9370
> 

**********************************************************************************************

This Email and any attached files are confidential and may also be privileged. 
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the postmaster using email 
address [email-masked] or call +44 171 557 5000 and ask for the 
IT Helpdesk.  You should not copy this email and any attached files, use them 
for any purpose or disclose the contents to any other person; all copies of the 
Email and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SQ
United Kingdom
Registered No: 3122085, England

Phone:          +44 171 557 5000
Fax:            +44 171 557 5200
Email:          [email-masked]
WebSite:        http://www.mondexinternational.com

*********************************************************************************************
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: Eric Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:02:47 -0700

> Therefore in my opinion, this should not be allowed. What do other people

I think that links should not be allowed at all.

Otherwise there is a possibility of repudiating the transaction as "not
as it was represented"- the purchaser could claim that the link she
followed represented something different than what she received because
the seller switched the data that the links pointed to during the
transaction.  This goes for links to images in addition to links to
other documents, as a picture could be used to mislead just as well as a
document.

Links also present a problem in reviewing orders in a purchaser's
database- an order made a week ago might have links to pages which have
since been updated.   How is the purchaser to know what he's supposed to
receive?

-- 
Eric Murray          N*Able Technologies                    www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at the sites lne.com or nabletech.com)     PGP keyid:E03F65E5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: Donn Mukensnable <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:50:47 -0700

If the linked-to data were converted to a relative URL and 'bundled'
along with the response to the requested page than the syncrhonization
of the data could be preserved.  However, this opens up the potential of
circular references, long chains, and other voluminous data flows. 

Donn Mukensnable