Subject: Country Codes

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:00:52 +0100

A while back there was discussion about country codes (see emails from Tom
Arnold on 14 March and Don Eastlake on 17 March) that suggested 
	In the same manner that ISO4217 is specified for currency codes,
should country codes be specified to ISO3166? Also, does it matter if two or
three character codes are used?

In IOTP country is only used as part of an address (see Postal Address
Element). Therefore mandating use of country codes doesn't seem to be
necessary in my view as I can't think how it would be used although I'm open
to counter arguments.

Thoughts?

David
> mailto:<[email-masked]>
> Mondex International, US Advanced Technology Office
> 111 Pine St, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111
> Tel/Voicemail: +1 415 645 6973	Fax: +1 415 956 9370
> 

**********************************************************************************************

This Email and any attached files are confidential and may also be privileged. 
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the postmaster using email 
address [email-masked] or call +44 171 557 5000 and ask for the 
IT Helpdesk.  You should not copy this email and any attached files, use them 
for any purpose or disclose the contents to any other person; all copies of the 
Email and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SQ
United Kingdom
Registered No: 3122085, England

Phone:          +44 171 557 5000
Fax:            +44 171 557 5200
Email:          [email-masked]
WebSite:        http://www.mondexinternational.com

*********************************************************************************************
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Lewis, Tony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:35:55 -0700

When we did the work on SET, we settled on the three digit numeric codes
from ISO 3166 for country and ISO 4217 for currency. As I recall, we made
these choices because those are the formats carried in the financial
networks and there was no compelling reason to use alphabetic codes that
would have to be translated by the payment gateway to numeric (and back
again on responses).

Tony

PS) I mentioned to David in an off-list message that my vote is for numeric
for the currency code. (Not that my vote alone changes the outcome.)
> ----------
> From: 	David Burdett[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Thursday, April 29, 1999 4:00 PM
> To: 	Ietf Trade WG
> Subject: 	Country Codes
>

---

From: Tom Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:35:14 -0700

I think it would be appropriate to specify ISO 3166 for the country code and leave the specification of whether to use alpha 2 or alpha 3 character codes to the implementers. 

> [snip]

Tom Arnold

Vice President of Engineering

Chief Technical Officer

CyberSource Corporation

[email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Email and any attached files are confidential and may also be
privileged. <bold><italic> </italic></bold>It is intended only for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
recipient or an authorized agent of the recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message
in error, please contact CyberSource Corporation immediately at (408)
556-9100.  Thank you.

---

From: "Lewis, Tony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:44:26 -0700

I recommend settling on one representation. Otherwise, implementers who want
to interoperate with everyone have to implement every possible way of
encoding the information.

Tony
> ----------
> From: 	Tom Arnold[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Friday, April 30, 1999 11:35 AM
> To: 	Ietf Trade WG
> Subject: 	Re: Country Codes
> 
> I think it would be appropriate to specify ISO 3166 for the country code
> and leave the specification of whether to use alpha 2 or alpha 3 character
> codes to the implementers.  
> 
> privileged.  It is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it
> is addressed.  If you are not the recipient or an authorized agent of the
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
> you have received this message in error, please contact CyberSource
> Corporation immediately at (408) 556-9100.  Thank you. 
> 
> Message addressed to: [email-masked] Archive available at:
> http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/ To (un)subscribe send a message
> with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the body to:
> [email-masked]
>