Subject: Comments for IOTP DSIG (addition).

From: Yoshiaki KAWATSURA <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:23:58 +0900 (JST)

David (and Kent), 

We can understand where we have to sign because of the following
description in section 6.17:

  o signs the Manifest element using the optional certificate
   identified in the Certificate element within the Signature
   Block placing the result in a Value element within a Signature
   Component

But there is no description(or definition) about how to sign. 

I and Hiroya-san think it is obvious that "signs the Manifest element"
means to make a hash value of the Manifest element and encrypt the
hash value of the Manifest element.

In order to avoid ambiguity, it may be better to describe how to sign
the Manifest element such as the above or more detail in IOTP (and/or
IOTP DSIG) document.

What do you think it is too obvious to describe how to sign?
--
Yoshiaki Kawatsura and Masaaki Hiroya,  Hitachi, Ltd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Kent M. Davidson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:44:35 -0700

Yoshiaki-san:

I am revising the document today, and your suggestion to add clarity to the document is a good one. I will make sure it is obvious in the language surrounding signing.

-Kent.

>What do you think it is too obvious to describe how to sign?
_____________________________________________________________
Kent M. Davidson
VP Engineering
Differential, Inc.
http://www.differential.com
main (650)426-1100
fax  (650)426-1101