Subject: Digital-rights discussion

From: Ko Fujimura <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:10:45 +0900

Hi all,

At Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:12:34 -0400,
Smith, Chris  <[email-masked]> wrote:
...
> > Ko Fujimura of NTT gave a presentation on "What's Next in Internet
> > Commerce" which concentrated on Digital Right, such as sale of
> > memberships, use of coupons, sale of subscriptions, loyalty systems,
> > etc.  There appeared to be a consensus at the meeting to have a BoF
> > like meeting on this topic at the next IETF meeting assuming at a
> > minimum, that a draft requirements document can be prepared in time.
> > This needs discussion on the mailing list.
> >
> Will Mr. Fujimara be starting this discussion?

Thank you, Chris,

As I presented at the Oslo meeting, I think that it is important to
develop an infrastructure for circulating diverse digital-rights in 
Internet Commerce.

I think digital-right is a digital representation of the right to
claim the services or good specified.  It includes membership,
subscription, discount coupon, loyalty point, and any tickets.

The topics which might be addressed in the draft requirement document
to be discussed at the next meeting includes:

- Language for describing diverse rights

- Integration with payment protocols
    Global transaction control for payment and digital-rights delivery
    Payment with discount coupon redemption
    Payment with loyalty points accumulation
    Payment with award ticket issuance

- Integration with wallet-related specifications
    ECML
    "digital-rights wallet" API

- Protocol for circulating diverse digital rights
    Generalized copy-protection protocol or
    Generalized duplicate-redemption prevention protocol

- Trust model for digital-rights
    How do users judge whether digital-rights can be trusted or not?

Note that these are only examples of the topics. I don't think all of
the above should be addressed in the draft. Instead, I think that many
other topics which we should be addressed exist. Any way, I believe
that we have some important topics that should be discussed in this
WG. I would like to discuss/explore requirements on this area in detail. 

By the way, my concern is that many people in this mailing list does
not interested in drafting the requirements document, although the number 
of people interested in this area are also many, hopefully. Therefore,
I set up a new mailing list for discussing this topic: 

  Address: [email-masked]
  To (un)subscribe: [email-masked]
  In body: (un)subscribe digital-rights <email address>
  Archive: (To be supported)

Any comments are wellcome, including on starting the new mailing list.

Regards,

Ko
o---------------------------------------------------------o
o      Ko Fujimura         Email: [email-masked]  o
o---------------------------------------------------------o
o NTT Information Sharing Platform Labs, Security Project o
o 1-1 Hikarinooka, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa 239-0847, JAPAN o
o Tel: +81-(0)468-59-3814         Fax: +81-(0)468-59-8329 o
o---------------------------------------------------------o
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]