Subject: RE: How to sign several resources (XML and XSL)?

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:45:34 -0700

Following on from this I'm wondering what people's views are on signing an
XML document that is primarily an XML representation of a data structure
that is defined in a specification that is widely and publically available.

The XML document, in it's native form is readable but not easily
understandable. A style sheet would make the document easier to understand
but is not required since the semantics of the document are defined in the
specification. However could use of a stylesheet then be construed as
altering the meaning of the XML document as far as a recipient is concerned.

I ask since this is what IOTP effectively does, it signs several parts of a
data structure (represented in XML) and then creates new data structures
from the orginal that are also digitally signed and, using additional
"endorsing" signatures, "binds" the new document back to the original.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Winchel 'Todd' Vincent, III [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 1:43 AM
To: Andreas Siglreithmayr; W3c-Ietf-Xmldsig (E-mail)
Subject: Re: How to sign several resources (XML and XSL)?

>
> I think that if someone signs an XML-document, s/he would also have
>to sign the corresponding XSL file.

Andreas:

Other people on this list hold the very same opinion.  Indeed, as an
American lawyer, I believe there are very good legal reasons why *not*
signing the stylesheet might just get and XML document thrown out of court
if/when it were introduced into evidence.  Such a result would, of course,
make the technology much less valuable.

Thank you for your input.  I think having someone with a new and fresh
perspective helps to shed light on the simplicity and logic of the notion.
I wish others would see it so clearly.

Todd

---

From: DJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:49:14 -0700

UWI.com has an XML implementation that signs the "presentation" (eg. the XSL)
as well as the XML.  In their view, it is critically important to sign
both, otherwise
how do you know the context for the XML data?  

dj

>I wish others would see it so clearly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]