Subject: Micro Payments BOF in the next IETF (Nov 99, Wash DC)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:35:17 +0200

FYI - I think there may be interest among IOTP folks in the following...

The Micro Payments BOF at the next IETF (in Wahington DC) will occur on
Monday, Nov. 8th, at 1530-1730. Enclosed are the current agenda (subject to
change - proposals welcome) and description. Notice that at least we (IBM) plan
to describe in details our payment messages, to facilitate interoperable
implementations and to serve as potential basis for a standard.

Please excuse cross posting - and forward to relevant persons and groups.
Thanks!

Agenda:

   Reports on  the W3C Micropayments Markup spec and implementations of it
     Thierry Michell from W3C who is in charge of this activity will describe it
     Amir Herzberg from IBM will present release 1.3 of IBM Micro Payments
     implementation of the W3C Micropayments Markup spec
     Other implementations may be described as well as comments about the spec
   Reports on open designs which are proposed as basis for potential IETF
   standardization
     Amir Herzberg will present the IBM Micro Payments design
     Other designs may be presented
   Discussion of the goals of (micro)payment standardization activity in the
   IETF
     Mark Manasse (Compaq): what we're (MilliCent) hoping for in a standard
     Use the IBM Micro Payments design as basis to a standard
     Or, open discussion to alternative approaches and select one (or some
     combination) first
     Limit to micropayments or cover also larger payments?
     Attempt to agree on rough charter and goals

Description - Micro Payments BOF (micropay):

The Internet is quickly becoming the prefered method of delivery for information
and on-line services. The growth of
this industry is resticted by the limited availability of secure online payment
mechanisms, especially for small amounts. Micropayments are designed to allow
charging of small amounts, where the minimal fees of credit-card payments are
unacceptable. There have been, and still are, many attempts at providing a
micropayments solution, however so far none of them was successful, and in
particular none of the deployed systems seems to be able to reach critical mass
of buyers and sellers. Furthermore, even if one or more of these systems gain
popularity, the lack of standardization may slow down their availability. In
this BOF we'll review some recent micropayment markup standardization spec from
the W3C, and discuss whether the IETF should attempt to contribute standards in
this area  - i.e. should we create a micropayments WG (and if so what would its
charter and goals be).

Best Regards,
Amir Herzberg
Manager, E-Business and Security Technologies
IBM Research Lab in Haifa (Tel Aviv Office)
http://www.hrl.il.ibm.com
New e-mail: [email-masked]
New Lotus notes mail: amir herzberg/haifa/ibm@IBMIL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]