Subject: RE: IOTP Inquiry Transaction

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:17:10 -0700

Masaaki

You make some very good points !!

I agree with you that in the TransId Component:
a) the IotpTransType should contain "BaselineInquiry", and
b) the definition of what should be contained in the TransTimeStamp is
unclear.

I actually think that the TransTimeStamp should be the same s the time on
the original transaction. This means that to make an inquiry you would need
to know both the IotpTransID and the TransTimeStamp. This should make it a
lot harder for someone to "spoof" the inquiry especially if the original
transaction was carried out over a secure channel.

This means that section 9.2.1 of the specification is changed as follows ...

The paragraph that starts  with ...

"A Trading Role making an inquiry must use the identical Transaction Id
Component..."

... is replaced with ...

"A Trading Role making an inquiry must use a Transaction Id Component (see
section 3.3.1) where both the IotpTransId and TransTimeStamp attributes are
the same as in the Transaction Id Component of the original transaction that
is being inquired upon. The IotpTransId attribute in this component serves
as the key in querying the transaction logs maintained at the Trading Role's
site. The value of the ID attribute of the Message Id Component should be
different from those of any in the original transaction (see section
3.4.1)."

David
-----Original Message-----
From: Masaaki Hiroya [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 10:28 PM
To: David Burdett
Subject: IOTP Inquiry Transaction

David

In 9.2.1 of IOTP v1.0-06 (page 203) says as follows:

> TRANSACTION REFERENCE BLOCK
>
> A Trading Role making an inquiry must use the identical Transaction Id
> Component (see section 3.3.1) that was in the original transaction.
>

If the Transaction Id Component is identical to the one that was in the 
original transaction, the IOTP server cannot distinguish the transaction 
type.

I think the TransType should be different from the original one, and
it should be TransType="BaselineInquiry" because "BaselineInquiry" is
defined as a value of TransType in the TransId Component in the
IOTP specification.

I have another question regarding to the TransId Component for 
Baseline Inquiry Transaction.

Which time should be set to TransTimeStamp, the timestamp which the 
original transaction started at or the timestamp which the inquiry 
transaction started at?

The former one seems to be correct according to the definition, but
there is ambiguity in the word "IOTP Transaction" which is used in
the definition of "Timestamp" in the TransId Component (page 35).

What do you think?

Masaaki

-----
Masaaki Hiroya
Systems Development Laboratory
Hitachi, Ltd.
email: [email-masked]
tel: +81-44-549-1531
fax: +81-44-549-1640