Subject: Status of SCCD?

From: "Smith, Chris " <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:02:36 -0500

I'm concerned about the way in which Secure Channel Credit/Debit
appears to be not proceeding.

The intent was that it was a payment protocol that could
be built in to an IOTP implementation 'for free', without
concerns over the licensing or heavy compliance testing
needed for other payment systems/protocols such as SET,
Mondex, or Cybercoin. It was to be simple and straight-
forward, requiring only a minimum of work. The real value
was to show how a real, if simple, payment protocol would
be placed inside the Payment Exchange framework of IOTP.

I did some of the original work nearly two years ago. When
this was handed off, I felt there was an understanding that
it would continue as an small, open, addition to the larger
body of IOTP work. It should not really have needed much
more than a small amount of dedicated time.

Instead, it appears that it may have become convoluted with
proprietary work, requiring substantial effort to liberate
it and return it to the original intent.

I am curious about the continued delays - this is not supposed
to be a complex piece of work. It is supposed to represent
a protocol that can replace filled-in HTML forms. It doesn't
need to handle shipping info - that is part of IOTP core. It
doesn't need to handle signatures - that is handled between
DOMHASH and DSIG. THere is a small amount of information to
be carried here - nothing more. If there *is* more, then this
document may no longer may correspond to the original intent
behind SCCD.

If the source of the delays is nothing more than a resource
constraint on the part of the author, can this be made clear?
Times change - it is now over a year and a half later, and I
have some resource time that could be committed to such work.

Is this needed?

------------------------------------------------------------ 
 Chris Smith                                +1.416.348.6090 
 Royal Bank                       [email-masked] 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: November 2, 1999 10:28 AM
> Subject: RE: Draft WG Meeting Agenda
> 
...
> 
> SCCD should be on line shortly.

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 10:07:50 -0500

Chris,

People should blame me for the most recent delay.  It is true that the
history has been a bit convoluted since it left you.  But Tom Arnold
has done some good work on it and I have been a recent source of
delay.  I'm traveling now but I hope the path forward can be clarified
next week.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  "Smith, Chris " <[email-masked]>
X-Server-Uuid:  47ce64ae-6caa-11d3-9dcc-00902732b24c
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
To:  "ietf-trade@lists. eListX. com (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Date:  Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:02:36 -0500
X-WSS-ID:  143F4D8A1456-01-01

>have some resource time that could be committed to such work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]