Subject: Revised New Draft WG Charter

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 00:36:09 -0500

Below is a revised draft of a new charter for the working group
based on comments posted...

Thanks,
Donald

Chair(s):
Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:
Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]>

Editor(s):
David Burdett <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: (un)subscribe
Archive: http://www.eListX.com/archives/ietf-trade

The TRADE Working Group will further develop the Internet Open Trading
Protocol (IOTP) and the Electronic Commerce Modeling Language (EMCL)
specifications and investigate digital rights trading equirements.

There will be four main threads to the activity:
1. IOTP version 2.0
2. XML Messaging
3. ECML, and
4. Digital Rights Trading Requirements.

Each of these is discussed in more detail below.

IOTP is an interoperable framework for Internet commerce. It is
optimized for the case where the buyer and the merchant do not have
a prior acquaintance and is payment system independent. It can
encapsulates and supports payment systems such as SET, Mondex,
secure channel card payment, GeldKarte, etc. IOTP is able to
handle cases where such merchant roles as the shopping site,
the payment handler, the deliverer of goods or services, and
the provider of customer support are performed by different
Internet sites.

The  working group will document interoperability experience with
IOTP version 1 and develop the requirements for IOTP transport and
IOTP version 2.

Selection of items for inclusion in version requirements 2 is to
be from the following:
- Separation of a content independent Messaging Layer
- Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
- Offer Request Block
- Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
- Server to Server messages

Legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of the
protocol or information systems using it are out of scope for IOTP
v2.

XML Messaging is based on the messaging ideas contained inside IOTP
version 1.0, and will aim to develop a specification for the the
reliable, resilient, secure, exchange of XML over insecure
transport mechanisms.

The goal of the working group is to develop first a set of
requirements and then the full specification that meets these XML
Messaging objectives.

ECML version 1 provides a standard set of hierarchical field names
and content specifications plus a few procedural guidelines for
the transmission of basic address and payment information from a
customer to a merchant.

The goal of the working group is to develop ECML version 2 which
may include corrections to version 1 and may include additions in
the following areas:
- Merchant to Consumer communications fields including purchase
amount, receipt information, package tracking information,
- Additional Consumer to Merchant fields including Corporate
procurement cards, Other payment systems, Travel and entertainment,
Affinity, frequent flyer, and other customer loyalty programs,
Business-to-business commerce
- Improved internationalization
- Coordination with privacy standards
- Specifications for exchange of ECML data using XML

In real world purchases and other trading transactions, it is often
a requirement to credit loyalty points, collect digital coupons,
check customer membership in a certain group, and so on.  The
working group will investiagate hjow these activities can be
generalized using the concept of a "digital-right", which is a
digital representation of the right to claim goods or services,
and will specify the requirements in the following areas:
- The digital rights trading model
- The language to describe diverse types of digital rights

Milestones:
99 Dec - First Internet Draft publication of
     Secure Channel Credit Debit Supplement
     Architecture and Payment API Supplement
00 Jan - First Internet Draft publication of
     Requirements for XML Messaging Layer
     Requirements for Digital Rights Trading
     SET Supplement
00 Feb - Initiate Last Call on
     SCCD, Architecture, SET, and HTTP Supplements
00 Feb - First Internet Draft publication of
     ECML v2 Requirements
(00 Mar, IETF Meeting Adelaide)
00 Apr - To IESG for Publication
     SCCD, Architecture, SET, and HTTP Supplements
     ECML v2 Requirements
00 Apr - First Internet Draft publication of
     IOTP Version 2.0 Requirements
     ECML v2 Specification
     XML Messaging Specification
00 Apr - To Last Call
     Requirements for XML Messaging
     Requirements for Digital Rights Trading
00 May - First Internet Draft publication of
     IOTP Version 2.0 Specification
00 May - To Last Call
     IOTP Version 2.0 Requirements
00 Jul - To Last Call
     ECML v2 Specification
(00 Jul/Aug, IETF Meeting Pittsburgh)
00 Aug - Last Call
     XML Messaging Specification
00 Sep - Last Call
     IOTP Vesion 2 Specification
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: Ko Fujimura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 17:19:10 +0900

Apologies for making typos in my previous comment. 
Corrections are marked ##. 

Thanks,

Ko
-----------------------------------------------------------
At Wed, 08 Dec 1999 00:36:09 -0500,
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]> wrote:

Chair(s):

Editor(s):

Mailing Lists:

## equirements --> requirements

## investiagate hjow --> investigate how

Milestones:

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 11:07:58 -0500

OK, I've fixed the typos that were pointed out and I'm staring a one
week working group last call.  I'll forward the revised charter to our
Area Director in a week, depending on what comments there are.

Thanks,
Donald

>specifications and investigate digital rights trading requirements.
>
>working group will investigate how these activities can be