Subject: IETF 46 TRADE (IOTP) WG Meeting

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:38:21 -0500

Below are the minutes of the meeting.  The minutes and the slides of the
various presentations refered to are availabe at

<ftp://ftp.pothole.com/pub/ietf-trade/IETF-Washington/>

Thanks,
Donald

 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1 914-276-2668     [email-masked]
 65 Shindegan Hill Road, RR#1  +1 914-784-7913(work)  [email-masked]
 Carmel, NY 10512 USA

IETF 46, TRADE Working Group Minutes
Notes taken by Maryann Hondo, edited by Donald Eastlake

Chair, Donald Eastlake

[See TRADE Working Group Agenda Slides]

planned agenda
     status of main documents
     implementation news
     digital rights
     Supporting Contracts (Eric Brunner wished to speak but was
     	unable to attend due to illness.)
     XML Messaging (Dave Burdett unable to attend.)
     charter update

A summary of the ECML BOF was given along with the slides presented
there [see minutes for the ECML BOF].  The ECML BOF concluded that
ECML was an appropriate work item for the TRADE working group

Status of documents:
     The main three are ready for publishing as RFCs and are
     	through last call.  ((They have since been approved by
     	the IESG as Informational and are in the RFC Editor's
     	queue.))

     The Hiroshi Maruyama DOMHASH document
          Very few comments have been received.  It provides
          canonicalization and hashing together.  It will be
          replaced by the XMLDSIG standard when it comes out.
     IOTP digital signature draft
          Only one minor change needed and revised version has been
          created.
     main protocol document
          Needs the same minor change as the IOTP digital signature
          draft plus one other minor change and some clarification to
          the text.
          
<<comment that the documents may not need new revision numbers....
are further along than might have been thought...the rfc editor might
be able to just fix these>>

     main protocol document
     	  [See Dave Burdett changes05to07.ppt slides]
          Minor changes between 5 & 6.  Version 6 was Last Called.
          Even smaller changes in Version 6 to 7 as follows:
             question of what IOTP XML namespace should be...
             question of id prefix letter on inquiry,
                currently to specify prefix letter q
             question on transaction equality test,
                only test transaction id and timestamp
             no change to protocol structure or flow

other document status:
     http transport document
          Not much activity, more feedback is needed.
          how can a merchant tell if a consumer has something that
          supports IOTP?  ECML may be helpful.
          Check for a mime type? There is a draft of how to do this.

     Architecture & payment API document is almost in an internet draft
          form....need  finish converting to draft and get it out.

     SET supplement (how to use with IOTP)
          Less conversion to internet-draft so far, still has line
             drawn figures

     SCCD, simple way to use credit cards with IOTP, without SET
          Somewhat broader in scope than just IOTP, which only needs
          consumer to merchant. This document also contains merchant
          acquirer aspects.

Implementation news...
     Hitachi is working on several implementations:
     domestic:
          SMILE coding is moving forward, trial in March or April.
     international:
          Taiwan, Costa Rica
          Use a slightly older version of the specification.
     Other known implementation plans include
          Royal Bank of Canada
          JOTP: posted on the web...a java library for IOTP.

Ko Fujimora:
     Digital Rights Trading Infrastructure(DTRI) [ietf46-DRTI.ppt slides]
     The is a proposed new work item.
     Background objectives include mechanisms to create coupons and
        redit loyalty points.

Donald Eastlake: I suggest we should start with a requirements document
   before moving to a draft specification on the Digital Rights language

Charter update:
     The Working Group Charter is out of date:  the main documents are
     complete, the supplemental documents need new milestones.
     There is the possible addition of xml messaging as a task (ie,
     take content independent part of IOTP and make it a separate
     document), digital rights, and ECML v2.

     All the slides presented here will be in the proceedings and on
     Donald's web site
<<   question on whether version 2 which is the goal of the original
     charter, will be delayed because of these new requirements >>

     Donald asserted that version 2 is only delayed because people need
     more experience with deployment and interoperability on version 1.

<<   does XML messaging include discovery of DTDs? >>
     no

<<   does IOTP have its own DTD? >>
     probably

     XML and cookie analogy....
<<   wedge green....there are two ASN1 deployments, cartography database
     and the library system, that have been converted to XML. >>

Tony Lewis,  VISA: WG bandwidth question....does this working group
     have the bandwidth to pickup ECML?

WG consensus that it does have the bandwidth.

Working Group support voiced for at least doing the digital rights requirement here
and then  decide where detailed design lives.

<<   questions on what is it meant to be integrated with privacy?
     Things like the W3C P3P protocol.

<<   would support of ECML dilute the IOTP, since it is weaker than IOTP?

     ECML looks like it will be widely deployed sooner, could be a bridge or
     lead in to IOTP.....The MS passport Wallet uses ECML....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: Ko Fujimura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:57:09 +0900

Hi, I found the following typo in the minute. 

At Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:38:21 -0500,
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]> wrote:
...
>      Digital Rights Trading Infrastructure(DTRI) [ietf46-DRTI.ppt slides]

DTRI --> DRTI

>      The is a proposed new work item.

The --> The DRTI

>      Background objectives include mechanisms to create coupons and

redit --> credit

By the way, I also found some English errors in my presentation
slides. If it is allowed (and in time), I would like to update it. I
placed the revised version at the following URL.  All of changes are
editorial.  

http://info.isl.ntt.co.jp/flexticket/ietf/ietf46-DRTI.ppt

Apologies for interrupting you.

Ko
----------------------------------------------------------
Ko Fujimura, NTT Information Sharing Platform Laboratories
1-1 Hikarinooka, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa 239-0847, JAPAN
Tel: +81-(0)468-59-3814, Fax: +81-(0)468-59-8329
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:54:30 -0500

I'll send in corrected minutes but I don't know if they can be fixed at this
point.  My apologies for the errors.

Donald

From:  Ko Fujimura <[email-masked]>
Date:  Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:57:09 +0900
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked]
Cc:  [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-Reply-To:  In your message of "Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:38:21 -0500"
	     	<[email-masked]>
References:  <[email-masked]>
User-Agent:  SEMI/1.13.7 (Awazu) FLIM/1.13.2 (Kasanui) MULE XEmacs/21.2 (beta1) (Aeol
us) (sparc-sun-solaris2.6)
Content-Type:  text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Sender:  [email-masked]
Precedence:  bulk
X-elistx:  ietf-trade
Source-Info:   From (or Sender) name not authenticated.