Subject: IETF-TRADE: Non-subscriber postings, archives
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:42:09 -0400 (EDT)

The ietf-trade list is currently set to accept postings only from the
addresses that are subscribed to it or are on a supplemental list I
maintain.  If you want to post from multiple addresses but subscribe from
only one, you can just send me your alternative from addresses.

Messages from addresses not allowed to post will get forwarded to me and I
will, within reason, post them to the list. 

Archives of this list are available via http, as noted in the footer of
every message.  They are also available in monthly files which can be
retrieved via email majordomo commands sent to
[email-masked]. Send "help" as the first line of a
message body to get information on the commands available. 

Ftp access to these monthly mail files may be available in the future.

Thanks,
Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:41:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG meetings
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

I have requested a two hour slot at the upcoming IETF meeting in Chicago. 
See <http://www.ietf.org/meetings/Chicago.html>. 

The Open Trading Protocol Consortium had previous scheduled a meeting
September 9-11 hosted by CyberCash in Reston, Virginia, and one in
November 10-12 in Japan hosted by Hitachi.  Following the normal pattern
of previous OTP Consortium meetings, the first day would be devoted to
payment system specific sub-groups (SET, etc.) who are working on
documents describing how to encapsulate their payment system in IOTP.  The
second two days would be devoted to more general IOTP discussions.

While there is no guarantee these meetings will still take place, if the
WG desires, it is possible that they could be declared to be TRADE WG
meetings.  If so, then as always in the IETF, and tentative IOTP decisions
made at them would be announced on the mailing list and be subject to WG
consensus.

This message is basicly an early notice for those who would want to attend
these meetings so they can note them on their calendars.  And, of course,
anyone who wants to comment on this idea is welcome to do so.

Thanks,
Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:46:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IETF TRADE WG and the OTP Consortium
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Some on this list may not understand the relationship between the
Open Trading Protocol Consortium and this IETF working group and
those who do may want an update...

The OTP Consortium has a web site as <http://www.otp.org> where
version 0.9 of the Internet Open Trading Protocol is available.  The
consortium is working hard on producing the version 1.0 documents
(sometimes refered to as Baseline).  They are current schedule to be
posted on the OTP web site in early July. At that point, engineering
design work by the OTP Consortium will cease.

The version 1.0 documents will then be posted as internet drafts for
comment and subsequently be published as Information RFCs via this
working group.  The intent is for the version 1.0 Information RFCs
to follow the OTP versions except for the formatting changes
necessary to be RFCs (plain text (and possible subsequent postscript
versions), formating, notices, etc.) and fixing any errors that are
noticed.

While there is certainly no reason that discussion of requirements and
version 2.0 enhancements could not begin now, it might be better to
wait about three weeks till the verison 1.0 documents are out.

The OTP Consoritum will likely continue to exist in some form for
purposes such as promoting the protocol, acting as an association of
vendors implementing or interested in the protocol, etc. Thus far
the OTP Consoritum has been a relatively informal organization
without dues.  It is presently seeking some umbrella organizaton
that it could exist under in a more formal way so it could continue
with these activities.

Thanks,
Donald

=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 00:12:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 42nd IETF-CHICAGO, IL: SCHEDULING
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Welcome to the TRADE working group.  I plan to apply for a two hour slot
at the Chicago IETF meeting.  I believe it is also likely that the WG will
meet at least at the IETF Orlando meeting December 6-11 and the first IETF
meeting next year.  According to the official attendance counts from the
41st IETF meeting below, 80 people at the IOTP BoF, which lead to the
formation of this working group, signed the attendance sheet.

If there are some other working groups you would not like TRADE scheduled
against, please tell me.  I will collate the non-conflict requests and
include in my request for an agenda slot. 

Below is an extract for the scheduling announcement.

Thanks,
Donald 
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:00:43 -0400
Subject: 42nd IETF-CHICAGO, IL: SCHEDULING

We will be taking scheduling requests for ALL Working Groups and BOFs 
starting today. The cut-off for requesting slots is Monday, August 3 
at 5:00 ET. ...

...

2. Tuesday will have one-hour sessions. If your working group or BOF 
   needs to meet for one hour or less it will be scheduled on Tuesday. 
   Please indicate on your request if you will need a one-hour session. 
   Requests for two contiguous one-hour sessions will not be addressed 
   until all one-hour requests have been accommodated.

3. Working groups will be allowed a maximum of two slots. If your 
   working group will need more, please let me know. You will get 
   additional slots only if they are available after agenda scheduling 
   has closed (currently August 3) and with approval from the AD.

...

===============================================
Attendance Count from the 41st IETF

aatn      120       ipfc       72       pppext    136
acap       46       ipngwg    237       ptopomib   40
avt       121       ipp        28       radius     73
bmwg       24       ippm      141       rap       176
bridge     26       ipsec     203       rps        90
calsch     91       iptel     179       rtfm       97
cat       130       ipvbi      45       run        11
cidf      120       issll     110       saag      158
conneg     39       ldapext   144       schema     34
dasl       40       ldup       72       sieve      87
dhc       100       malloc    135       smime     113
diffserv  250       manet      57       snmpv3     97
disman     45       mboned    105       spki      101
drums      50       mhtml      32       ssh        22
ecn       148       mmusic    148       svrloc     68
entmib     31       mobileip  126       tcpimpl   151
fax        80       mpls      300       tcpsat    139
grip       15       msgmib     17       tip        23
httpext    79       nat       132       tls       156
hubmib     31       ngtrans   208       tn3270e    20
idmr      165       nntpext    25       udlr       98
idr       157       openpgp    75       urlreg     31
ifmib      33       pint      157       uswg       27
ion       115       pipr       64       vrrp       56     
iotp       80       pkix      199       wasrv      75
ipcdn      37       pktway     14       webdav     40    
================================================
DRAFT Agenda of the Forty-second IETF
August 23-28, 1998

MONDAY, August 24, 1998
0900-0930  Opening Plenary - 
0930-1130  Morning Sessions

1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I

1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

1930-2200  Evening Sessions

TUESDAY, August 25, 1998
0900-1000  Morning Sessions I

1015-1115  Morning Sessions II

1300-1400  Afternoon Sessions I

1415-1515  Afternoon Sessions II

1545-1645  Afternoon Sessions III

1700-1800  Afternoon Sessions IV

WEDNESDAY, August 26, 1998
0900-1130  Morning Sessions

1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I

1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

1930-2030  Presentations -  
2030-2200  Open Plenary

THURSDAY, August 27, 1998
0900-1130  Morning Sessions

1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I

1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

FRIDAY, August 28, 1998
0900-1130  Morning Sessions

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

To: IETF-Announce: ;
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG ACTION: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:05:47 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

A new working group has been formed in the Applications Area of the
IETF. Please contact the Area Directors or Working Group Chair for
more information.

Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
--------------------------------------
 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Don Eastlake <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Director(s): 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Editor(s):
     Surendra Reddy  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.eListX.com/archives/ietf-trade
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The Internet Open Trading Protocol provides an interoperable framework 
for Internet commerce.  It is optimized for the case where the buyer and 
the merchant do not have a prior acquaintance and is payment system 
independent.  It will be able to encapsulate and support payment systems 
such as SET, Mondex, CyberCash's CyberCoin, DigiCash's e-cash, 
GeldKarte, etc.  IOTP is able to handle cases where such merchant roles 
as the shopping site, the payment handler, the deliverer of goods or 
services, and the provider of customer support are performed by 
different Internet sites.

The Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) working group will (1) 
determine requirements and document scenarios for IOTP message
transport and for IOTP version 2 specification, (2) document
interoperability experience with IOTP version 1 (which will have been 
published as Informational), and (3) develop the specification for IOTP 
transport and IOTP version 2.

Selection of items for inclusion in version 2 is expected to be from
the following and others suggested by the Working Group:

- Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
- Multiple Protocol Options
- Offer Request Block
- Public Key Signatures (v1.0 uses secret key signatures)
- Signatures on the Delivery Response
- Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
  signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
- Selection of Additional Options
- OTP Architecture (informational development of standard interfaces
  to software components).

The following are out of scope for version 2:

- server to server messages (except as messages needed for client to
  server communications may also be useful for server to server
  communications)
- legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of the
  protocol or information systems using it.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Jul 98       Submit IOTP v1.0 to the IESG to consider publication as an 
                Informational RFC.                                             

   Oct 98       Submit Internet-Draft of Open Trading Protocol requirements and
                scenarios                                                      

   Oct 98       Submit IOTP transport requirements Internet Draft              

   Dec 98       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 

   Jan 99       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP transport requirements to IESG 
                for publication as an Informational RFC.                       

   Jan 99       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 
                to IESG for publication as an Informational RFC.               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP v2.0 specification               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP transport specification          

   May 99       Submit IOTP transport specification I-D to IESG for 
                consideration as a Proposed Standard.                          

   Jun 99       Submit IOTP v2.0 specification I-D to IESG for consideration as
                a Proposed Standard.                                           

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

To: IETF-Announce: ;
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG ACTION: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:47:54 -0400
From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

A new working group has been formed in the Applications Area of the IETF.
For additional information, contact the Area Directors
or the WG Chair.

Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
--------------------------------------
 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Don Eastlake <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Director(s): 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Editor(s):
     Surendra Reddy  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.eListX.com/archives/ietf-trade
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The Internet Open Trading Protocol provides an interoperable framework 
for Internet commerce.  It is optimized for the case where the buyer and 
the merchant do not have a prior acquaintance and is payment system 
independent.  It will be able to encapsulate and support payment systems 
such as SET, Mondex, CyberCash's CyberCoin, DigiCash's e-cash, 
GeldKarte, etc.  IOTP is able to handle cases where such merchant roles 
as the shopping site, the payment handler, the deliverer of goods or 
services, and the provider of customer support are performed by 
different Internet sites.

The Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) working group will 1) 
determine requirements and document scenarios for IOTP message
transport and for IOTP version 2 specification, (2) document
interoperability experience with IOTP version 1 (which will have been 
published as Informational), and (3) develop the specification for IOTP 
transport and IOTP version 2.

Selection of items for inclusion in version 2 is expected to be from
the following and others suggested by the Working Group:

- Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
- Multiple Protocol Options
- Offer Request Block
- Public Key Signatures (v1.0 uses secret key signatures)
- Signatures on the Delivery Response
- Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
  signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
- Selection of Additional Options
- OTP Architecture (informational development of standard interfaces
  to software components).

The following are out of scope for version 2:

- server to server messages (except as messages needed for client to
  server communications may also be useful for server to server
  communications)
- legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of the
  protocol or information systems using it.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Jun 98       Submit IOTP v1.0 to the IESG to consider publication as an 
                Informational RFC.                                             

   Oct 98       Submit Internet-Draft of Open Trading Protocol requirements and
                scenarios                                                      

   Oct 98       Submit IOTP transport requirements Internet Draft              

   Nov 98       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 

   Dec 98       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP transport requirements to IESG 
                for publication as an Informational RFC.                       

   Jan 99       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 
                to IESG for publication as an Informational RFC.               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP v2.0 specification               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP transport specification          

   May 99       Submit IOTP transport specification I-D to IESG for 
                consideration as a Proposed Standard.                          

   Jun 99       Submit IOTP v2.0 specification I-D to IESG for consideration as
                a Proposed Standard.                                           

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:15:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Change in mailing list name, ietf-iotp->ietf-trade
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

To avoid possible confusion with the IETF One Time Passowrd working group
mailing list, the name of this list has been changed from ietf-iotp to
ietf-trade.  The archives locaiton has been similarly re-named.  However,
aliases should be in place so that posting to ietf-iotp will still work
and requests can be sent to either ietf-iotp or ietf-trade.  But the
preferable name is "trade".

Thanks,
Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG REVIEW: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade) (fwd)
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 15:11:03 -0400
From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce:;;@cybercash.com
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG REVIEW: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes:

Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
--------------------------------------
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Chair(s):
     Don Eastlake <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Director(s): 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Editor(s):
     Surendra Reddy  <[email-masked]>

The Internet Open Trading Protocol provides an interoperable framework
for Internet commerce.  It is payment system independent and will be
able to encapsulate payment systems such as SET, Mondex, CyberCash,
DigiCash, GeldKarte, etc.  IOTP is able to handle cases where such
merchant roles as the shopping site, the payment handler,the deliverer
of goods or services, and the provider of customer support are
performed by different parties or by one party.

The Internet Open Trading Protocol working group will (1) determine
requirements for IOTP transport and for IOTP 2.0, (2) document
interoperability experience with IOTP v1.0 (which will have been
published as Informational), and (3) develop the specification for IOTP
transport and IOTP version 2.0.

Selection of items for inclusion in v2.0 is expected to be from the
following and others suggested by the Working Group:

- Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
- Multiple Protocol Options
- Offer Request Block
- Public Key Signatures (v1.0 uses secret key signatures)
- Signatures on the Delivery Response
- Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
  signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
- Selection of Additional Options
- Shorter Element and Attribute Names
- Transaction Status Inquiry (if not included in v1.0)
- OTP Architecture (informational development of standard interfaces
  to software components).

The following are out of scope for v2.0:

- server to server communications protocols (except as protocol
  elements needed for client to server communications may also be
  useful for server to server communications)
- legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of the
  protocol or information systems using it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-iotp/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IETF-TRADE: Non-subscriber postings, archives
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

The ietf-trade list is currently set to accept postings only from the
addresses that are subscribed to it or are on a supplemental list I
maintain.  If you want to post from multiple addresses but subscribe from
only one, you can just send me your alternative from addresses.

Messages from addresses not allowed to post will get forwarded to me and I
will, within reason, post them to the list. 

Archives of this list are available via http, as noted in the footer of
every message.  They are also available in monthly files which can be
retrieved via email majordomo commands sent to
[email-masked]. Send "help" as the first line of a
message body to get information on the commands available. 

Ftp access to these monthly mail files may be available in the future.

Thanks,
Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:41:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG meetings
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

I have requested a two hour slot at the upcoming IETF meeting in Chicago. 
See <http://www.ietf.org/meetings/Chicago.html>. 

The Open Trading Protocol Consortium had previous scheduled a meeting
September 9-11 hosted by CyberCash in Reston, Virginia, and one in
November 10-12 in Japan hosted by Hitachi.  Following the normal pattern
of previous OTP Consortium meetings, the first day would be devoted to
payment system specific sub-groups (SET, etc.) who are working on
documents describing how to encapsulate their payment system in IOTP.  The
second two days would be devoted to more general IOTP discussions.

While there is no guarantee these meetings will still take place, if the
WG desires, it is possible that they could be declared to be TRADE WG
meetings.  If so, then as always in the IETF, and tentative IOTP decisions
made at them would be announced on the mailing list and be subject to WG
consensus.

This message is basicly an early notice for those who would want to attend
these meetings so they can note them on their calendars.  And, of course,
anyone who wants to comment on this idea is welcome to do so.

Thanks,
Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:46:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IETF TRADE WG and the OTP Consortium
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Some on this list may not understand the relationship between the
Open Trading Protocol Consortium and this IETF working group and
those who do may want an update...

The OTP Consortium has a web site as <http://www.otp.org> where
version 0.9 of the Internet Open Trading Protocol is available.  The
consortium is working hard on producing the version 1.0 documents
(sometimes refered to as Baseline).  They are current schedule to be
posted on the OTP web site in early July. At that point, engineering
design work by the OTP Consortium will cease.

The version 1.0 documents will then be posted as internet drafts for
comment and subsequently be published as Information RFCs via this
working group.  The intent is for the version 1.0 Information RFCs
to follow the OTP versions except for the formatting changes
necessary to be RFCs (plain text (and possible subsequent postscript
versions), formating, notices, etc.) and fixing any errors that are
noticed.

While there is certainly no reason that discussion of requirements and
version 2.0 enhancements could not begin now, it might be better to
wait about three weeks till the verison 1.0 documents are out.

The OTP Consoritum will likely continue to exist in some form for
purposes such as promoting the protocol, acting as an association of
vendors implementing or interested in the protocol, etc. Thus far
the OTP Consoritum has been a relatively informal organization
without dues.  It is presently seeking some umbrella organizaton
that it could exist under in a more formal way so it could continue
with these activities.

Thanks,
Donald

=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 00:12:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 42nd IETF-CHICAGO, IL: SCHEDULING
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Welcome to the TRADE working group.  I plan to apply for a two hour slot
at the Chicago IETF meeting.  I believe it is also likely that the WG will
meet at least at the IETF Orlando meeting December 6-11 and the first IETF
meeting next year.  According to the official attendance counts from the
41st IETF meeting below, 80 people at the IOTP BoF, which lead to the
formation of this working group, signed the attendance sheet.

If there are some other working groups you would not like TRADE scheduled
against, please tell me.  I will collate the non-conflict requests and
include in my request for an agenda slot. 

Below is an extract for the scheduling announcement.

Thanks,
Donald 
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:00:43 -0400
Subject: 42nd IETF-CHICAGO, IL: SCHEDULING

We will be taking scheduling requests for ALL Working Groups and BOFs 
starting today. The cut-off for requesting slots is Monday, August 3 
at 5:00 ET. ...

...

2. Tuesday will have one-hour sessions. If your working group or BOF 
   needs to meet for one hour or less it will be scheduled on Tuesday. 
   Please indicate on your request if you will need a one-hour session. 
   Requests for two contiguous one-hour sessions will not be addressed 
   until all one-hour requests have been accommodated.

3. Working groups will be allowed a maximum of two slots. If your 
   working group will need more, please let me know. You will get 
   additional slots only if they are available after agenda scheduling 
   has closed (currently August 3) and with approval from the AD.

...

===============================================
Attendance Count from the 41st IETF

aatn      120       ipfc       72       pppext    136
acap       46       ipngwg    237       ptopomib   40
avt       121       ipp        28       radius     73
bmwg       24       ippm      141       rap       176
bridge     26       ipsec     203       rps        90
calsch     91       iptel     179       rtfm       97
cat       130       ipvbi      45       run        11
cidf      120       issll     110       saag      158
conneg     39       ldapext   144       schema     34
dasl       40       ldup       72       sieve      87
dhc       100       malloc    135       smime     113
diffserv  250       manet      57       snmpv3     97
disman     45       mboned    105       spki      101
drums      50       mhtml      32       ssh        22
ecn       148       mmusic    148       svrloc     68
entmib     31       mobileip  126       tcpimpl   151
fax        80       mpls      300       tcpsat    139
grip       15       msgmib     17       tip        23
httpext    79       nat       132       tls       156
hubmib     31       ngtrans   208       tn3270e    20
idmr      165       nntpext    25       udlr       98
idr       157       openpgp    75       urlreg     31
ifmib      33       pint      157       uswg       27
ion       115       pipr       64       vrrp       56     
iotp       80       pkix      199       wasrv      75
ipcdn      37       pktway     14       webdav     40    
================================================
DRAFT Agenda of the Forty-second IETF
August 23-28, 1998

MONDAY, August 24, 1998
0900-0930  Opening Plenary - 
0930-1130  Morning Sessions

1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I

1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

1930-2200  Evening Sessions

TUESDAY, August 25, 1998
0900-1000  Morning Sessions I

1015-1115  Morning Sessions II

1300-1400  Afternoon Sessions I

1415-1515  Afternoon Sessions II

1545-1645  Afternoon Sessions III

1700-1800  Afternoon Sessions IV

WEDNESDAY, August 26, 1998
0900-1130  Morning Sessions

1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I

1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

1930-2030  Presentations -  
2030-2200  Open Plenary

THURSDAY, August 27, 1998
0900-1130  Morning Sessions

1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I

1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

FRIDAY, August 28, 1998
0900-1130  Morning Sessions

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

To: IETF-Announce: ;
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG ACTION: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:05:47 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

A new working group has been formed in the Applications Area of the
IETF. Please contact the Area Directors or Working Group Chair for
more information.

Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
--------------------------------------
 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Don Eastlake <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Director(s): 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Editor(s):
     Surendra Reddy  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.eListX.com/archives/ietf-trade
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The Internet Open Trading Protocol provides an interoperable framework 
for Internet commerce.  It is optimized for the case where the buyer and 
the merchant do not have a prior acquaintance and is payment system 
independent.  It will be able to encapsulate and support payment systems 
such as SET, Mondex, CyberCash's CyberCoin, DigiCash's e-cash, 
GeldKarte, etc.  IOTP is able to handle cases where such merchant roles 
as the shopping site, the payment handler, the deliverer of goods or 
services, and the provider of customer support are performed by 
different Internet sites.

The Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) working group will (1) 
determine requirements and document scenarios for IOTP message
transport and for IOTP version 2 specification, (2) document
interoperability experience with IOTP version 1 (which will have been 
published as Informational), and (3) develop the specification for IOTP 
transport and IOTP version 2.

Selection of items for inclusion in version 2 is expected to be from
the following and others suggested by the Working Group:

- Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
- Multiple Protocol Options
- Offer Request Block
- Public Key Signatures (v1.0 uses secret key signatures)
- Signatures on the Delivery Response
- Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
  signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
- Selection of Additional Options
- OTP Architecture (informational development of standard interfaces
  to software components).

The following are out of scope for version 2:

- server to server messages (except as messages needed for client to
  server communications may also be useful for server to server
  communications)
- legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of the
  protocol or information systems using it.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Jul 98       Submit IOTP v1.0 to the IESG to consider publication as an 
                Informational RFC.                                             

   Oct 98       Submit Internet-Draft of Open Trading Protocol requirements and
                scenarios                                                      

   Oct 98       Submit IOTP transport requirements Internet Draft              

   Dec 98       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 

   Jan 99       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP transport requirements to IESG 
                for publication as an Informational RFC.                       

   Jan 99       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 
                to IESG for publication as an Informational RFC.               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP v2.0 specification               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP transport specification          

   May 99       Submit IOTP transport specification I-D to IESG for 
                consideration as a Proposed Standard.                          

   Jun 99       Submit IOTP v2.0 specification I-D to IESG for consideration as
                a Proposed Standard.                                           

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

To: IETF-Announce: ;
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG ACTION: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:47:54 -0400
From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

A new working group has been formed in the Applications Area of the IETF.
For additional information, contact the Area Directors
or the WG Chair.

Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
--------------------------------------
 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Don Eastlake <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Director(s): 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Editor(s):
     Surendra Reddy  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.eListX.com/archives/ietf-trade
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The Internet Open Trading Protocol provides an interoperable framework 
for Internet commerce.  It is optimized for the case where the buyer and 
the merchant do not have a prior acquaintance and is payment system 
independent.  It will be able to encapsulate and support payment systems 
such as SET, Mondex, CyberCash's CyberCoin, DigiCash's e-cash, 
GeldKarte, etc.  IOTP is able to handle cases where such merchant roles 
as the shopping site, the payment handler, the deliverer of goods or 
services, and the provider of customer support are performed by 
different Internet sites.

The Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) working group will 1) 
determine requirements and document scenarios for IOTP message
transport and for IOTP version 2 specification, (2) document
interoperability experience with IOTP version 1 (which will have been 
published as Informational), and (3) develop the specification for IOTP 
transport and IOTP version 2.

Selection of items for inclusion in version 2 is expected to be from
the following and others suggested by the Working Group:

- Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
- Multiple Protocol Options
- Offer Request Block
- Public Key Signatures (v1.0 uses secret key signatures)
- Signatures on the Delivery Response
- Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
  signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
- Selection of Additional Options
- OTP Architecture (informational development of standard interfaces
  to software components).

The following are out of scope for version 2:

- server to server messages (except as messages needed for client to
  server communications may also be useful for server to server
  communications)
- legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of the
  protocol or information systems using it.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Jun 98       Submit IOTP v1.0 to the IESG to consider publication as an 
                Informational RFC.                                             

   Oct 98       Submit Internet-Draft of Open Trading Protocol requirements and
                scenarios                                                      

   Oct 98       Submit IOTP transport requirements Internet Draft              

   Nov 98       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 

   Dec 98       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP transport requirements to IESG 
                for publication as an Informational RFC.                       

   Jan 99       Submit Internet-Draft on IOTP v1.0 interoperability experience 
                to IESG for publication as an Informational RFC.               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP v2.0 specification               

   Feb 99       Submit Internet-Draft of IOTP transport specification          

   May 99       Submit IOTP transport specification I-D to IESG for 
                consideration as a Proposed Standard.                          

   Jun 99       Submit IOTP v2.0 specification I-D to IESG for consideration as
                a Proposed Standard.                                           

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:15:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Change in mailing list name, ietf-iotp->ietf-trade
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

To avoid possible confusion with the IETF One Time Passowrd working group
mailing list, the name of this list has been changed from ietf-iotp to
ietf-trade.  The archives locaiton has been similarly re-named.  However,
aliases should be in place so that posting to ietf-iotp will still work
and requests can be sent to either ietf-iotp or ietf-trade.  But the
preferable name is "trade".

Thanks,
Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG REVIEW: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade) (fwd)
Sender: [email-masked]
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 15:11:03 -0400
From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce:;;@cybercash.com
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG REVIEW: Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes:

Internet Open Trading Protocol (trade)
--------------------------------------
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Chair(s):
     Don Eastlake <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Director(s): 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Editor(s):
     Surendra Reddy  <[email-masked]>

The Internet Open Trading Protocol provides an interoperable framework
for Internet commerce.  It is payment system independent and will be
able to encapsulate payment systems such as SET, Mondex, CyberCash,
DigiCash, GeldKarte, etc.  IOTP is able to handle cases where such
merchant roles as the shopping site, the payment handler,the deliverer
of goods or services, and the provider of customer support are
performed by different parties or by one party.

The Internet Open Trading Protocol working group will (1) determine
requirements for IOTP transport and for IOTP 2.0, (2) document
interoperability experience with IOTP v1.0 (which will have been
published as Informational), and (3) develop the specification for IOTP
transport and IOTP version 2.0.

Selection of items for inclusion in v2.0 is expected to be from the
following and others suggested by the Working Group:

- Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
- Multiple Protocol Options
- Offer Request Block
- Public Key Signatures (v1.0 uses secret key signatures)
- Signatures on the Delivery Response
- Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
  signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
- Selection of Additional Options
- Shorter Element and Attribute Names
- Transaction Status Inquiry (if not included in v1.0)
- OTP Architecture (informational development of standard interfaces
  to software components).

The following are out of scope for v2.0:

- server to server communications protocols (except as protocol
  elements needed for client to server communications may also be
  useful for server to server communications)
- legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of the
  protocol or information systems using it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-iotp/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]