Subject: [tram] "local configuration" in draft-ietf-tram-turn-server-discovery

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:29:09 -0600

draft-ietf-tram-turn-server-discovery says:

    1.  Local Configuration : Local or manual TURN configuration i.e.,
        TURN servers configured at the system level.  For example, in
        case of Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC)
        [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-overview] usages and related extensions, which
        are based on web applications, a Java Script specified TURN
        server MUST be considered as local configuration.  An
        implementation MAY give the user an opportunity (e.g., by means
        of configuration file options or menu items) to specify a TURN
        server for each address family.

It strikes me that TURN servers communicated to the user agent through 
code obtained from a WebRTC service (or found via an XMPP server using 
XEP-0215 [1]) are not "configured at the system level", they are known 
at the application level. Saying that such a TURN server is configured 
makes it sound as if this is something that a user might need to specify 
manually before connecting to the service, whereas in practice it's 
something that the application learns as one aspect of the user's 
session with service.

I can suggest alternative wording if desired.

Peter

[1] http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0215.html

---

From: "Prashanth Patil (praspati)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 23:15:27 +0000

Hi Peter,
You¹re right, "configured at the system level² is not appropriate. What
about ³configured by the user²? This would also include TURN servers
suggested by an application, but approved by the user.

Did you have a better alternative in mind?

-Prashanth

On 10/21/15, 2:29 PM, "tram on behalf of Peter Saint-Andre - &yet"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>tram mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tram