Subject: [tram] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on charter-ietf-tram-01-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Alissa Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:00:11 -0700

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-tram-01-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-tram/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My substantive point has to do with the scoping and use cases being dealt
with in TRAM. I feel like some of the confusion over the TRAM drafts has
related to whether the mechanisms being specified are expected to be used
only within the WebRTC context or outside of it as well, for STUN/TURN
generally. I'd like to see a commitment to clarity in this regard called
out in the charter. E.g., "In making updates to TURN and STUN, the
working group will clearly document the motivations and implications of
the updates both within the WebRTC context and more broadly" or something
like that.

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:23:47 -0500

Hi, Alissa,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-tram/

I agree, and the folks who have chimed in on your previous DISCUSS seem to
agree as well.

I note that the just-approved ICE charter contains multiple examples of
both realtime media and non-realtime media protocols that rely on ICE, and
consequently on TURN.

I stole those examples, and did an update (the URL for a diff is at
http://tinyurl.com/ngje4tw).

Could you let me know if I'm accurately reflecting what you're hoping for?

Thanks!

Spencer

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 07:25:54 -0500

Dear TRAM Chairs,

> Could you let me know if I'm accurately reflecting what you're hoping for?

Alissa, being a better woman than I am, is bravely slogging through this
week's ICANN meeting, so hasn't had a chance to comment on my proposed
text, and I'd like to close with her before sending the approval note. But
what we're talking about is how we describe what TRAM is doing, not what
TRAM is doing, and no one objected to your new deliverables, so please
assume that you'll see an approval note Real Soon Now, as you plan for
Yokohama.

Spencer