Subject: [tram] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tram-stun-path-data-03.txt> (Discovery of path characteristics using STUN) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:25:39 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the TURN Revised and Modernized WG
(tram) to consider the following document:
- 'Discovery of path characteristics using STUN'
  <draft-ietf-tram-stun-path-data-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-02-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A host with multiple interfaces needs to choose the best interface
   for communication.  Oftentimes, this decision is based on a static
   configuration and does not consider the path characteristics, which
   may affect the user experience.

   This document describes a mechanism for an endpoint to discover the
   path characteristics using Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)
   messages.  The measurement information can then be used to influence
   the endpoint's Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) candidate
   pair selection algorithm.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-stun-path-data/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-stun-path-data/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.