Subject: [tram] RFC 8656 on Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN): Relay Extensions to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 22:30:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8656

        Title:      Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN):
                    Relay Extensions to Session Traversal 
                    Utilities for NAT (STUN) 
        Author:     T. Reddy, Ed.,
                    A. Johnston, Ed.,
                    P. Matthews,
                    J. Rosenberg
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      79
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5766, RFC 6156

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tram-turnbis-29.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8656

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8656

If a host is located behind a NAT, it can be impossible for that host
to communicate directly with other hosts (peers) in certain
situations. In these situations, it is necessary for the host to use
the services of an intermediate node that acts as a communication
relay. This specification defines a protocol, called "Traversal Using
Relays around NAT" (TURN), that allows the host to control the
operation of the relay and to exchange packets with its peers using
the relay. TURN differs from other relay control protocols in that it
allows a client to communicate with multiple peers using a single
relay address.

The TURN protocol was designed to be used as part of the Interactive
Connectivity Establishment (ICE) approach to NAT traversal, though it
can also be used without ICE.

This document obsoletes RFCs 5766 and 6156.

This document is a product of the TURN Revised and Modernized Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC