Subject: [tram] Errata 3467 on RFC 6062

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 13:47:31 +0000

Hi,

This is a question related to this RFC errata:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=3467

The Errata says the following: 

Section 5.2. says: 

   Otherwise, the server MUST initiate an outgoing TCP connection.  The

   local endpoint is the relayed transport address associated with the

   allocation. 

It should say:

   Otherwise, the server MUST initiate an outgoing TCP connection.  This 
   connection MUST NOT be made using the relayed transport address 
   associated with the allocation.

Notes:

if you send connect request using the allocated port then port the will not
be in listen mode and this will prevent incoming tcp connection on this
port. 
this will cause major problem while doing ice check. The effect is so bad
that it may cause 97% call failure while using turn tcp behind nat. 

---- End of Errata ---

So I think this errata is wrong and should be rejected for that reason.

To my understanding there are no significant issue with having the TURN
server at the point of allocation request occurring opening a TCP socket
listener on particular relayed transport address (address1: port1). When the
connection request occurs the TURN server will reuse the address1:port1 as
source address and port for the outgoing TCP connection to the remote
address, using a specific 5-tuple connected TCP socket. Thus, the reporters
issue should not occur. 

I appreciate feedback on this so that I don't make a mistake.

Thanks

Magnus Westerlund

TSV AD