Subject: [tram] Errata 4826 on RFC 7635

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 14:29:39 +0000

Hi,

I would like some feedback on what to do with this Errrata?

https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid4826

Errata ID: 4826
Status: Reported
Type: Technical
Publication Format(s) : TEXT
Reported By: Mihály Mészáros
Date Reported: 2016-10-10

Section 8. says:

8.  STUN Client Behavior

   o  The client looks for the MESSAGE-INTEGRITY attribute in the
      response.  If MESSAGE-INTEGRITY is absent or the value computed
      for message integrity using mac_key does not match the contents of
      the MESSAGE-INTEGRITY attribute, then the response MUST be
      discarded.

   o  If the access token expires, then the client MUST obtain a new
      token from the authorization server and use it for new STUN
      requests.

It should say:

8.  STUN Client Behavior

   o  The client looks for the MESSAGE-INTEGRITY attribute in the
      response.  If MESSAGE-INTEGRITY is absent or the value computed
      for message integrity using mac_key does not match the contents of
      the MESSAGE-INTEGRITY attribute, then the response MUST be
      discarded.

9.  Application (OAuth Client) Behavior

   o  If the access token expires, then the Application (OAuth client) 
      MUST obtain a new token from the authorization server, and update
      STUN client to use it for new STUN requests.

   o  Application SHOULD pass only a subset of the received OAuth 
      parameters to the STUN client. Only parameters SHOULD be passed 
      that will be really needed and used by the STUN Client. 
      In this way, only the kid, the mac_key, and the access_token
      parameters SHOULD be passed to the STUN client.

...
Renumber the sections
...

Notes:

1. Remove from STUN client behaviour the access_token renewal function,
and move this function up to application level.
2. Pass to STUN only that subset of the OAuth parameters, that will be really
used by STUN Client. 

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Networks, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079
Torshamnsgatan 23           |
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------