Subject: [Trans] Relaxed X.509 validation rules

From: Erwann Abalea <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 18:08:57 +0200

Bonjour,

For security reasons, our online CAs have a critical BC extension with
pathLenConstraint set to 0.
For security+compliance reasons (RFC5280/X.509), our CA system doesn't
allow for duplicate serial numbers under a CA, so we're going to issue a
"Precertificate Signing Certificate" under our different issuing CAs for
precertificate generation.

Of course, a compliant X.509 third party MUST fail to validate the
precertificate (because of the pathLenConstraint=0 issuing something that
acts as a CA without being declared as is).

How will this case be handled by log servers? RFC6962 in section 3.1 states
that "the log may relax standard validation rules to allow this, so long as
the issued certificate will be valid", without any detail on relaxed rules.

Will it be mandatory to re-issue pathLenConstraint=1 CA certificates and
relax our security rules?

-- 
Erwann.