Subject: [Trans] Gossip drafts

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 20:21:43 -0700

You all may have noticed that Linus has uploaded three
drafts on gossip protocols for CT.  Please give those
a read.  In the short term we need something we can
publish as an experimental standard, so please give some
thought about how to move this work forward.  Once
there's been some discussion we can adopt a draft as
a working group deliverable.

Melinda

---

From: Linus Nordberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:16:59 +0100

Melinda Shore <[email-masked]> wrote
Wed, 29 Oct 2014 20:21:43 -0700:

| You all may have noticed that Linus has uploaded three
| drafts on gossip protocols for CT.  Please give those
| a read.  In the short term we need something we can
| publish as an experimental standard, so please give some
| thought about how to move this work forward.  Once
| there's been some discussion we can adopt a draft as
| a working group deliverable.

Right. I should've announced it here.

Gossip split up in three pieces -- general, with a message format; CT
specific saying STH and also SCT but with limited destinations; an HTTPS
transport:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-linus-trans-gossip/
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-linus-trans-gossip-ct/
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-linus-trans-gossip-transport-https/

There's a fourth element which isn't found in any of these and that's
strategy, or policy, for gossiping. That's been left out partly because
I don't have an answer but also because I don't think it should be
standardised.

---

From: Dmitry Belyavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:25:45 +0400

Hello Linus!

> I don't have an answer but also because I don't think it should be

I'm sorry, I did not understand the data flow in whole.

Did I understand correctly that browsers will gossip when they communicate
with (web)servers?
If so, the servers should process the gossip data they got, working as
auditors.

Or do I miss something?

Thank you!

-- 
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

---

From: Linus Nordberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:45:34 +0100

Dmitry Belyavsky <[email-masked]> wrote
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:25:45 +0400:

| I'm sorry, I did not understand the data flow in whole.

It's not very clear.

| Did I understand correctly that browsers will gossip when they communicate
| with (web)servers?

Yes.

| If so, the servers should process the gossip data they got, working as
| auditors.
| 
| Or do I miss something?

There is no text on how servers should help. I'm thinking "gossip
pools", storing some amount of gossiped data, replying to incoming
gossip with an equal amount of random entries from the pool.

I've been viewing this as strategy so far and not included it.