Subject: [Trans] I-D Action: draft-ietf-trans-threat-analysis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 09:25:51 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Public Notary Transparency  Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Attack Model for Certificate Transparency
        Author          : Stephen Kent
	Filename        : draft-ietf-trans-threat-analysis-01.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2015-06-30

Abstract:
   This document describes an attack model for the Web PKI context in
   which security mechanisms to detect mis-issuance of web site
   certificates will be developed. The model provides an analysis of
   detection and remediation mechanisms for both syntactic and semantic
   mis-issuance. The model introduces an outline of attacks to organize
   the discussion. The model also describes the roles played by the
   elements of the Certificate Transparency (CT) system, to establish a
   context for the model.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trans-threat-analysis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-trans-threat-analysis-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-trans-threat-analysis-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 08:34:16 -0800

Note that a revision of the threat analysis draft has
been posted.  Please give it a read and post comments
to the mailing list.

Thanks,

Melinda

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Trans] I-D Action: draft-ietf-trans-threat-analysis-01.txt
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 09:25:51 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Public Notary Transparency  Working
Group of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
Trans mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trans

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:36:08 -0400

As Melinda noted, the threat analysis doc has been revised and posted.

Two major classes of edits have been made:
     - changes based on feedback from folks on the list, consistent with 
my replies.
       The title was changed ("attack model"), several sections were 
revised, and
       the term "misbehaving" is now used instead of "malicious or 
conspiring."

     - an expanded intro that provides a high level background and 
description of
       the CT architecture, including a diagram derived from DKG's 
slides at a previous
       meeting

I'm not sure if the intro text needs to be in this doc. It seems more 
appropriate for
an architecture doc, but we don't have one (yet). Also, although I have 
included some
text about browser behavior, the description is not complete. I believe 
there is work
ongoing to generate a Monitor spec, and maybe a separate client spec 
plus an arch doc
would be the best way to have a complete, modular set of CT docs. I 
suggest we re-cast
6962-bis as a spec only for the log, the nexus of CT.

Comments welcome, as always.

Steve