Subject: Re: [Trans] [trans] #81 (rfc6962-bis): OIDs and IANA Considerations

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:36:39 -0000

#81: OIDs and IANA Considerations

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>
 * milestone:  review =>

Comment:

 On the list discussion about this ticket, Melinda noted that, regardless
 of which OID arc we use, we will need to "add an OID section to the IANA
 considerations".  We haven't done that yet, which is my first reason for
 reopening this ticket.

 My second reason...

 Once we've addressed ticket #10 (and #104), 6962-bis will no longer be
 using any of the OIDs from RFC6962.  So there's no particular reason to
 continue to use the Google OID arc for any of the 6962-bis OIDs.

 Previously, Russ advised that "If new OIDs are needed, we ought to assign
 them from an IETF arc managed by IANA", but the consensus seemed to be
 that we don't have to do this if we don't want to.

 My preference would be to switch to using a "shorter" OID arc, to reduce
 the amount of "bloat" that CT adds to certificates and OCSP responses.  We
 could save 6 or 7 bytes per OID by switching from the Google arc to a
 1.3.<n> arc.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-trans-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  reopened
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |     Version:
 Severity:  -                        |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/81#comment:3>
trans <http://tools.ietf.org/trans/>