Subject: [Trans] [trans] #132 (rfc6962-bis): unclear motivation for and handling of re-logging entries from a frozen log

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 22:26:22 -0000

#132: unclear motivation for and handling of re-logging entries from a frozen log

 From https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-trans-
 rfc6962-bis-10#section-10:
    If necessary, the new log can contain existing entries from the frozen
 log, which monitors can verify are an exact match.

 Both uses of "can" indicate possibilities, without providing any real
 guidance to implementors or operators. Here are some questions that I have
 after reading that sentence:
  * Under what circumstances MAY/SHOULD/MUST a log operator copy entries
 from the frozen log to the new log? I.e., what does "if necessary" mean in
 this context?
  * What portion of the frozen log's entries MAY/SHOULD/MUST be copied to
 the new log?
  * Why MAY/SHOULD/MUST a monitor verify exact matches?
  * How does a monitor determine which entries in the new log to verify
 against which other entries in the frozen log?
  * What MAY/SHOULD/MUST the monitor do with anything that isn't an exact
 match, but which it expects to be an exact match?

 Also, did you mean auditors instead of monitors?

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-trans-
  [email-masked]   |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis  |    Version:
 Severity:  -            |   Keywords:
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/132>
trans <http://tools.ietf.org/trans/>