Subject: [Trans] add-chain return value

From: Peter Bowen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 07:19:22 -0800

In 6962bis, add-chain is currently defined as returning the base64
encoded "SignedCertificateTimestamp".  In most cases, these are then
encoded into a SignedCertificateTimestampList.

Given that the SignedCertificateTimestampList is made up of
SerializedSCTs rather than SCTs, I wanted to double check that the
return of add-chain is a raw SCT.  To make a SerializedSCT, it needs
to be Base64-decoded and then have a length prepended, correct?

Thanks,
Peter

---

From: Adam Eijdenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 19:45:09 +0000

Peter, I believe that to be correct.  e.g. if you have two SCTs: sct1 and
sct2 then your SignedCertificateTimestampList would be (after base64
decoding both):

<2 bytes: 2 + sct1.length() + 2 + sct2.length()>
<2 bytes: sct1.length()>
<sct1>
<2 bytes: sct2.length()>
<sct2>

Looking at the spec in isolation it's easy to get confused about the first
two bytes - one could imagine that they represent the number of elements in
the array, but instead it's actually the total number of bytes consumed by
the entire array.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM Peter Bowen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Trans mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trans
>