Subject: Re: [Trans] [trans] #97 (rfc6962-bis): Allocate an OID for CMS precertificates

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 10:23:56 -0000

#97: Allocate an OID for CMS precertificates

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] => [email-masked]

Comment:

 Cancel that request.

 Symantec have agreed to donate some OIDs under the thawte 1.3.101 OID arc.
 Let's use one of them here.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                    |   Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |     Version:
 Severity:  -                        |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/97#comment:1>
trans <https://tools.ietf.org/trans/>

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 14:06:07 -0500

Rob,

Why not use an IETF arc for the OIDs? That's more consistent with IETF 
standards practice.

Steve

---

From: Rick Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 16:54:54 -0800

Stephen, Rob was looking to shave off a few bytes from each OID by starting
with a small arc, which Thawte has.

-Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Trans [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stephen Kent
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 11:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Trans] [trans] #97 (rfc6962-bis): Allocate an OID for CMS
precertificates

Rob,

Steve
>   Let's use one of them here.

_______________________________________________
Trans mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trans

---

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 20:57:43 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor                    |   Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |     Version:
 Severity:  -                        |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/97#comment:2>
trans <https://tools.ietf.org/trans/>

---

From: Rob Stradling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 13:37:06 +0000

> with a small arc, which Thawte has.

Rick,
Thanks (and thanks for the OIDs too :-) ).  Yes, that is indeed the 
case.  Short OIDs for the various X.509v3 extensions and LogIDs will 
avoid unnecessary bloat in certificates, SCTs, etc.

Steve,
I know the chairs are happy to use short OIDs from thawte's OID arc, so 
that's how we're proceeding.

-- 
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and 
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are 
addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the 
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to 
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business 
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free 
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is 
requested to use their own virus checking software.